Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Wanting to incorporate weight lifting into my exercise routine but...

starting weight: 400lbs
current weight, as of today 354.

...i feel idiotic when i lift weights. More importantly, i dont feel like im actually working, or performing work, at weightlifting.

tl;dr: looking for help overcoming the "idiotic/i didnt actually do any work" thought process with weightlifting, i recognize that there are gaps in my understanding of how to setup a weightlifting program and following through with it, went from 400lbs to 350lbs but due to foot injury, am looking at weightlifting to help me lose weight

I'll turn 40 in a couple months, and on my 39th birthday, i set myself two goals. One, to quit smoking. Two, go from 400lbs to 250. Well, ive cut back on the smoking, havent quit yet. But i realized pretty quickly that shooting for that 250 goal in one year was unrealistic. So i changed it to "lose weight this year". Ill admit, for the first few months, i kind of half assed it.

I bought a treadmill, set it up in my living room. I set a goal. "at 7am, turn on the news, and walk for 20 minutes." And i did this. and i started to lose weight. But as the body adjusted, it slowed the weight loss to where i was just maintaining. So i changed the goal again. "start at 7am, turn on the news, walk for 30 minutes" and i lost a little bit more weight. Not a lot. and i stopped at the 380lb range. And it held there for 3 months. Finally, when spring began, i started to take walks outside. But they werent all that long, i was still overeating, and my weight held at 380.

It was during this time though, that I tried getting back into weight lifting. I have tons of scrap steel laying around. Various shapes, sizes, for all sorts of different weights. So i have variety for lifting weights, and i have these two pieces of steel, one is 40lbs the other is approx 80lbs, that are perfect for overhead press, squats, cleans, jerks, curls, etc. I know how to do the forms, i did them back in high school and over the years when i would go to the gym to attempt to get back into weightlifting, so the form is there. But what gets me is how i feel when i do the exercise.

When i first started doing the exercises, id feel great. id have lifted some weight, my muscles were working, and who-hoo! But then, after a few sessions, lifting wouldnt give me that noticeable feeling that i did any meaningful work. Id lay on the bench, bench press XXXlbs 10 reps for 4 times, or 20 reps for 8 times, or whatever i felt like, and while id feel the strain of doing the work in that moment, about 20 minutes after i completed the workout, i would feel like i had accomplished nothing. sure my muscles were sore and needed to be stretched throughout the day because i used them, but deep down i just felt like i wasted my time. And so, after a few weeks of this, id just stop lifting.

Now, i am at a point where i need to incorporate weightlifting into my weight loss, due to an injury i suffered from all the walking i did. I was walking 4 miles a day, and the weight started to drop. Went from 380lbs down to 350 in 3 months. So i know i was on the right track for my exercise and for CICO. Yet, i ended up injuring my foot because of..well, that is a long story. Needless to say, my heel is injured. So walking for me is severely limited to just 2 miles.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I know that weightlifting will help me loose weight, and more importantly, gain strength. I recognize now that the reasons listed above are why i havent taken to weightlifting in the past after numerous attempts. I also recognize that there are gaps in my knowledge towards implementing weightlifting as a weight loss means that would help me. But it's difficult to get the answers youre looking for when you dont know what your supposed to be looking for.

i guess, after this long rant, i am looking for help in a couple of things.

  1. has anyone felt the way i described above? If so, how did you overcome it?
  2. Can anyone recommend any websites that help detail how weightlifting can help lose weight, and how to setup your own lifting program? or have prebuilt programs? ive looked into some websites, and i keep finding sites about using weights for cardio. Not sure if im not putting the search terms into google correctly to find what im looking for.
submitted by /u/dewnmoutain
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3hGqtOW

No comments:

Post a Comment