Monday, March 15, 2021

“Choose your hard” and some tips

First time I’ve ever lost weight consistently (been going strong for 6 months) and this quote is what helped change my mindset.

“Losing weight is hard, being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.” There were other comparisons too (Being financially disciplined is hard, being is debt is hard, choose your hard)

I have a long list of every day things that are difficult or uncomfortable due to my weight. Something clicked for me when I read this because I’m now redirecting the great effort normally required to navigate being overweight in a country where everyone and everything is tiny (I live in Asia) and channeling this energy into my weight loss efforts.

Something else I’ve been doing that may help others, I made a list of small things I wanted to do, and have been incorporating these things into my life. I won’t do them all every day but in theory over time many just become habit (and some already have). It’s been great because this has focused my weight loss journey on new small achievements as opposed to restrictions and punishing myself

A few from my list

• Drink 2L of water at least - I’m now drinking closer to a gallon 6 months later. Best thing about this journey in my opinion

• eat dinner before 7:30/8pm

• Try to only eat meals at my kitchen table. I found that I had conditioned my body to crave food when I’m watching tv on the couch or laying in bed at the end of my night

• Opt for stairs / walking more often - not all the time but I now choose stairs more often or to walk instead of car/bus/train... great way to get physical activity built in on any given day

• journal most days and focus on HOW I FEEL (emotionally and physically). This has helped me A LOT when I’m feeling anxious and want to binge eat, I go back and read about how great I feel when I’m eating well/balanced (energized, nimble) and reminds me how unwell I felt (drowsy, stuffed, guilty) on days when I didn’t eat so well

• Cook 2-3 days per week ( I always end up with leftovers for a couple days) I’m less likely to order out when I have delicious balanced meals at home. I’m not talking strictly salads, I’m eating good food and not over eating

• do some physical activity 4/5 days a week. One of those days I do a reformer pilates class which is intense but otherwise I don’t go to the gym. I’m going on walks, going on a bike ride, putting on music and dancing

• vegetarian day once a week (turns out I enjoy a lot of vegetarian meals. My fav is vegetarian chili / taco bowls

• No phone 30 min before I go to bed and after I wake up

I feel that weight loss is as much a mental journey as it is physical (if not more) and we have a lot of terrible messaging about who we are that we have internalized so please make sure that you consider your overall well-being. Be kind to yourself and good luck no matter where you are in your journey

submitted by /u/Caisla
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3vn8vJj

No comments:

Post a Comment