Monday, March 1, 2021

Is there any way to help my obese brother, or do I have to let him “figure it out on his own”? 😩

I’m not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I feel that you wonderful people who have lost/have decided you want to lose weight may be able to offer me a unique perspective.

I’m very close with my big brother, who for all of his younger years was a very skinny, lanky dude. Somewhere in his mid twenties he began gaining weight steadily and has now been what I would consider obese for about a decade. Over Covid, similar to the rest of us, he has just gotten worse. He recently admitted to me that he is well over 300lbs.

Now I could care less about what my brother looks like, but he is SICK. In a recent outdoor family adventure he couldn’t keep up at all and looked like he was going to pass out (mind you it was fairly mild activity). He had to sit out the rest of the day about halfway through. He suffers from migraines all the time. He stayed over my house one night recently and I almost cried listening to him try to sleep as he has severe untreated sleep apnea.

Long story short, from the perspective of those who have been in this position, is there anything I can say or do to help him? He has mentioned to me that he wants to lose weight, but he has NO concept of a healthy lifestyle. My spouse and family tell me to stay out of it, which I have done for 10 years now. But I’m beginning to worry that he’s going to die young, and besides the fact that I love him to death, he also has small children that need him.

I thought about offering to join in a weight loss journey with him because I have some Covid weight I’m looking to lose, but my husband thinks this is a bad idea. Did anyone here undergo an “intervention” of sorts or have loved ones that successfully spurred you on?

Thank you all for reading, I appreciate it SO much.

submitted by /u/Automatic_throwaway
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3qbATuo

No comments:

Post a Comment