Monday, July 19, 2021

I improved my resting heart rate with just 2 weeks of exercise.

Hi there, I'm new to the weight loss journey. I started transitioning to my new lifestyle just 2 weeks ago, but I'm already down 5 lbs and very happy with the start. At the beginning of my transition, I invested in the cheapest Fitbit I could find, and one of the first data points I noticed was my resting heart rate in Beats Per Minute (BPM.)

On Day 1, my resting heart rate averaged about 74. I had no idea what this meant or how it was even related to my health, so I hit the Google machine. I found out that a normal healthy adult resting heart rate is usually between 60-100 BPM, and a lower resting heart rate is usually linked to better cardio health (assuming there are no heart abnormalities.) I also learned that athletes can have resting heart rates as low as 40 BPM, with one of the lowest on record for a healthy human being 28 BPM belonging to a professional cyclist.

For these first two weeks, I walked every single day. On just a few days, I did more intense resistance exercises. This was a pretty drastic change, as I'm coming from a sedentary lifestyle. After 2 weeks, my average resting heart rate according to Fitbit is about 63 BPM. I watched it decrease slowly every day. I know that resting heart rate also depends on factors such as stress and caffeine intake, but I haven't changed anything about my lifestyle in the last two weeks except food intake and exercise.

When people say exercising improves your heart, I always thought they meant over years and years. I had no idea it could have such an immediate effect. I am not a doctor and maybe my interpretation of resting heart rate is totally wrong, but this feels rewarding to me, even moreso than the weight loss. Anyone else experience any immediate health changes when they started their journey?

tldr; My resting heart rate went from an average of 74 BPM to 63 BPM after two weeks of exercise and I'm shocked at how immediate health can change with habit changes.

submitted by /u/subparwaifu
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/36Mrh1O

No comments:

Post a Comment