Sunday, July 11, 2021

My “Food cache” trick

This is STRICTLY just based on my own personal experiences with weight loss attempts over the decades. There may not be any peer reviewed science to back this up. But it is something I’ve observed.

When I’m “hungry” ie, experiencing some kind of a physical or chemical demand in my body which my brain is attributing to a food requirement, I will crave foods from some kind of temporary list or memory cache (hence food cache) that my brain keeps. This list seems like it’s only good for about a month or two, and it’s populated with recently eaten foods. If you eat hamburgers every day, there will be lots and lots of hamburgers in your “food cache.”

When you perceive a hunger signal, your brain will only attempt to satisfy it with recently eaten food items stored in the cache. Your brain knows the macro nutrient content, your dopamine response, etc to every food in the cache and it’s able to efficiently select the best tool for the job at hand. The choice it makes manifests as food craving.

So knowing this, you can exploit the cache by allowing certain types of items to leave it or become less populated, thereby preventing your brain from having access to certain nutrients or chemicals it might have used to treat a “hunger signal”. Simply start trying to avoid the food and eventually if you’re somewhat successful your brain will select for it less.

For example, if you haven’t eaten any carbs in a month or two, your brain will forget altogether that you can get a dopamine response from food, and so will stop identifying “irritability” as a hunger signal as food is no longer the most effective way to treat it. Cutting out Mountain Dew eliminates both a powerful caffeine and sugar source, which may make you forget that “tired” is a hunger signal.

Imagine feeling slightly sleepy and wanting to take a nap instead of eating? Amazing.

This is also why, yes in fact eating one piece of cake WILL kill me. Because the cake and all it’s milky sugary goodness gets added back to the front of the cache which reminds your brain it has a more effective way to treat a dopamine low besides napping or exercising.

Like I said this is real for me, I don’t know if others experience the same thing but it’s a good way of looking at the way our cravings work which I think is at the core of why losing weight is so difficult.

submitted by /u/ksmith11011
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3AQaYij

No comments:

Post a Comment