Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Struggling

Hi everyone. New incognito account but have been around reddit for years.

Basics/background - 5'3" 265lbs. age:63

I've been overweight most of my adult life. Five extra lbs a year over 20 years adds up to being 100+ lbs overweight. Now due to knee meniscus removal ~25 years ago, and no ACL for more than that, I now have an arthritic knee and am in need of a knee replacement. Found out a week or so ago that my insurance will not cover this unless I lose at LEAST 100 lbs (BMI 40+=automatic no, BMI 30-40= maybe) So I buckled down and got started with a combination of intermittent fasting (roughly 11am to 7pm eating window) and Keto and the dreaded food journal. Calories/day is about 1200. I know from experience that more than that and I don't lose (successfully lost about 30 lbs several summers ago but it found me again).

I could go on but first this is what's really getting to me today. After about 10 days of progress (YAY!) I got on the scale and was UP TWO F'ing LBS! WTF? Ok, I know this is probably a temporary fluctuation but it had me in tears. This is a REALLY long haul for me and I'm struggling to learn how to handle the emotional stress having to focus on food every f'ing day. I know I can do this for a month or maybe even a few, but I have to keep this up for a looooooooooong time to lose 100 lbs. I don't know how to keep up the focus that long.

On top of this when I was successful a few years ago my recumbent bike was a key element to my success. I got on it again for about 10 minutes without much resistance and discovered I can't use it anymore because it causes way too much pain (it took me several minutes before I could put weight on my bad leg after use - no pain during use, just after). Arrrrrrrrrrgh. Pool exercise isn't an option because the nearest pool is a half hour away which would mean several hours out of my day anytime I would use it. So I'm struggling too to find what kind of cardio I can do on a regular basis. I do strength training and have for years.

tldr: struggling with magnitude of challenge, pain, lack of cardio options, feeling overwhelmed and depressed.

ps - I created a new acct to feel freer to discuss private issues and reddit automatically joined me to several weight loss related subreddits. Creepy!

submitted by /u/birchbark81
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3hHPmfi

No comments:

Post a Comment