Friday, July 9, 2021

Vent: I realized tonight that I feel like I need to have the “right” reasons for losing weight before I “deserve” to keep it off

Background: Lifetime of yo-yo dieting and weight shifts, lots of family involved in the same lifestyle too. I decided a few years back I wanted to refocus my weight loss on health and not looks, spending more time on being active and energetic over aiming for an impossible size or high school weight.

Since then, I’ve self-sabotaged a lot by telling myself I need to get my head right before losing weight - and by that I mean I can’t jump back into calorie counting or exercising if I have any embarrassment or shame or anger at my body whatsoever. And I realized how counterproductive this was. Shockingly, telling myself I can’t lose weight (or shouldn’t try to) until I’m perfectly happy with the body I have now and hold no ill feelings against it just flat out backfires. So here I am, not losing weight and saying I can’t until I am happy exactly where I am, which I’m not.

It’s taken me awhile to have this sink in, hopefully it helps someone else. I’m going to start again before my intentions are completely “right” and make this mental journey alongside my weight loss journey. I’m going to work on releasing the emotional weight with the physical and try to accept that there will always be a part of me that wants to lose weight for less-than-perfect reasons, and that part of me deserves to be loved too.

submitted by /u/magnolia_20
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3hW0c17

No comments:

Post a Comment