Monday, July 5, 2021

Weight loss causing salty spouse?

Is anybody else experiencing resistance/hostility/saltiness from their spouse, partner, or family?

In January, my wife declared that 'we' need to lose weight. She's short and round with a BMI of 30. I was tall(ish) and chonky with a BMI of 40. I took weight loss seriously, and now I'm down 88 pounds [BMI 28]. She's maybe lost 5 pounds.

I knew from the start that she didn't have the integrity or discipline to lose weight, but did my best to lead by example. I was careful to offer zero criticism, bossiness, judgement, or disappointment -- even when I'm sweating away exercising while she sits in front of the TV shoveling junk food into her face.
I'm there to support her if/when she's truly ready. Even though I try to not be an inconvenience when it comes to shopping, cooking and eating, she does a good job of accommodating my needs (which is mostly "please buy and cook more vegetables").

But starting a couple months ago, she got really pissy about my weight loss progress. She challenges me on what my goal weight should be, insinuates how sickly and ridiculous I will look when I reach a healthy BMI, and how preposterous it would be for me to wear 'size M' clothing. She's mocking that losing all this weight will reduce my lifespan if/when I end in a hospital bed and needed those 'fat reserves' to survive. She's doing her best to intimidate me to stop without [yet] coming out and issuing an outright ultimatum.

FWIW my final goal is probably in the 185-190 range which puts me at BMI 25; the low end of "overweight" but close enough to normal. I'm doing this because my dad died of preventable obesity-related issues in his 60's, and I'd prefer to try enjoy life for a decade or two beyond that. Ideally alongside a supportive spouse.

I don't need solutions; there isn't any. But misery loves company; anybody else in the same boat? ;)

submitted by /u/glonq
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3hH8ee6

No comments:

Post a Comment