Friday, December 3, 2021

My obese partner won't stop sabotaging me

I have been with my girlfriend for 5½ years. When we first met, we were both obese, and I had no interest in changing that part of myself. However, after being with her for 2 years, I had gained 50lbs and with no signs of stopping. I decided to make a big life change, and I spent 1½ years losing 75lbs. My girlfriend is still morbidly obese. Last year I gained back 20lbs, and I think I've realized why.

In the first month of my weight loss, I was living by myself while we were in between houses. In that time, I literally lost 10lbs without trying too hard. I have always found it really easy to eat healthy when I am in charge of my own food, because I just stop buying anything that doesn't fit my goals. I know for a fact that if I were living by myself, I would have been at my goal weight a long time ago. Living with my partner, however, means that she buys anything she wants and brings it into the house. For her, that means cookies, cakes, chips, pop tarts, literally all the things that I have no control around (and yeah, maybe that's a personal failing, but when I have a perfectly good solution..??). Before the pandemic, I was able to combat this by just literally never being home. I left for work at 6am, and after the commute home, walking the dog, and a gym session, I wouldn't get home until 6pm. Now that I work from home, I don't have that luxury, and have therefore gained a lot of weight back.

I have BEGGED her (literally said the words "I am begging you") in the past to please stop bringing this stuff home because it just makes me binge and it's not good for any aspect of my health, but her argument is that she's an adult and should be able to buy whatever she wants. And the worst part is, it's a fair argument! I don't want to police everything that comes into the house. I want her to be able to make her own food choices. But the problem is that it also directly affects me. I'm really at a loss at this point.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any advice?

submitted by /u/inevitably317537
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3Eozs3y

No comments:

Post a Comment