Monday, December 20, 2021

Should I tell people I lost weight?

I (27f) have lost 10lb in the last six months. I'm 5'2, down to 113 lbs. I know this may not sound like much, but it has made a big difference to me -- I've never liked my body much and this is the first time I've felt good about myself. I'm slimmer than I was in high school. And I feel good about being healthy too, like I'm fuelling my body with good things. And I am also proud of myself for sticking with it, and changing my habits for the better.

But I've not told anyone this IRL, I've only shared this information with r/loseit. I don't know why I don't talk about it -- it's like I think it's wrong to admit I was ever unhappy with my body in the first place. Or that I'm making a big deal out of losing a fairly small amount of weight. But a recent experience gave me yet another reason to not tell people.

Recently at a family Christmas I told my dad that I'd lost 10lb (after a couple glasses of wine!) and how I thought the key to my weight loss was avoiding processed / non-whole foods. He didn't seem to react much when I told him. The next day I agreed to take home some leftovers to get them off my Mom's hands (I have housemates who can eat them, and I'm giving myself some leeway this Christmas). He clearly didn't want all the leftovers to be taken and said, half jokingly, 'why do you need to take all the ham? You said you don't eat processed food!'.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about it but that comment annoyed me because I'd confided in him something that I never talk about. I feel like as soon as I admitted it to him, he used it as some sort of ammunition against me. And from then on whenever I ate anything I was worried he was judging me. For the record I do have a great relationship with my dad and this question isn't about him - it's more like, telling people about losing weight sort of takes it out of my control. Like other people can start using that information and making comments.

Does anyone else know the feeling? Is it better to just keep quiet? Or is this a 'me' problem and something I need to work on?

submitted by /u/WeAreBothInBarrels
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3pe9ryD

No comments:

Post a Comment