Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Winter is here and I’m still bamboozled by oatmeal. How do you all stay full on this?

Back when I wasn’t watching portions I used to eat oatmeal packed with fruit, nut butters, etc. and feel very satisfied. But now since I began measuring/tracking, I’m perplexed.

I just made steel cut oats - the package says it’s 170 calories for 1/4 cup uncooked. I used 1 cup uncooked and simmered it for 25 mins (in 4 cups water), intending to meal prep for a couple days. It resulted in 2 cups cooked which I expected. I ladeled out one cup (aka 1/2 cup dry) - so this would be 340 cals, yeah?

I sprinkled in a tiny amount of chia (.25 oz), some walnuts (.5 oz) and half a banana and I’m already over my 500-ish calorie breakfast budget with only those toppings (my target is 1500 cals/day). Not a big deal to be slightly over if it was satisfying, but this is my second time trying steel cut oatmeal (I also tried overnight/rolled), and every time I find myself still hungry right after and absolutely ravenous/returning to the kitchen to graze an hour later.

Typically I do Greek yogurt for breakfast and I’m able to add a ton of toppings, stay around 475 cals and feel very satisfied without any urge to snack, but I would love to have some other options (and eat oatmeal again now that fall is here). Plus I have read a ton of posts on weight loss subs praising oatmeal for being so satisfying at these portions. Are y’all really eating one cup of cooked oatmeal with 2 toppings and calling it good until lunch? What am I missing?

submitted by /u/westgoingzax
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/zykuAsO

No comments:

Post a Comment