Saturday, November 17, 2018

6 months, 37kg (82lbs) down, nearing goal weight, losing meaning?

I have lost 37kg (81.5lbs) since Spring -- while gaining quite a lot of muscle mass (chart here). My strategy has stayed the same throughout - and my previous post captures this(tl;dr: cico deficit + weight lifting). What has changed, particularly in the past month, is the ‘why’ am I losing weight - as opposed to the ‘how’ or ‘when’.

At the start of my journey, I almost had a ‘negative goal’ which was: I don’t want to be fat/obese anymore. With the justification that it was making me miserable and would lead to poorer mental health + physical longevity outcomes. Well now I’m closing in on the ‘normal weight’ BMI and I’d say I pass as not being fat anymore. If anything, given my build, I pass more for a sort of rugby player body (not skinny, but healthy).

This has come with a swathe of benefits - no more sleep apnea, newfound romance, higher energy levels, etc etc (we are all aware of these). The only negatives thus far (apart from the restricted diet) is the slight loose skin and the sensitive teeth from drinking so much diet coke. But that’s a price worth paying and the latter can be corrected if I just stop drinking it.

So, what next? People now treat me very differently, I’m happier, more confident etc. But I’m also in pretty unchartered territory -- my goal is to be very strong between 82kg and 85kg. Which is about 7kg away (essentially the end of December). The closer I get the weirder it feels as I’ve spent so long obsessing about this point, it’s now getting very real, and the next steps/meaning feel unclear.

Ostensibly, it’s perpetual maintenance. But that doesn’t really feel like a goal? Has anyone else had these moments where they feel a bit directionless post-large weight loss?

submitted by /u/from_now_on_
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Bd6eXa

No comments:

Post a Comment