Friday, November 23, 2018

An unexpected cost of obesity

So I recently lost 7kg (15lbs) over the past couple of months and am still away to go and am now at 107kg and am stalling. My BMI is currently 34.

I recently made the plunge and bought an apartment. I’m currently going through the insurance process and one policy I’m taking out is critical illness policy. The idea is if you suffer a named illness you get a lump sum payout to clear your mortgage. The initial quote for my cover was roughly £100 per month.

As part of the underwriting process (i.e. specific tailoring of the policy and costs based on your personal circumstances) I had to answer questions about my medical history including my current height and weight. And that’s where I was informed that due to my BMI being 34 my quoted premium would automatically increase by 75%. Just because of my weight and nothing else. So now my insurance will be £150. It’s beyond my budget but I can make it work by changing some other stuff.

I’d always knew insurers considered weight but I’d never consider myself in the range where I’d actually be impacted. It fucking sucks.

That said I asked the question: what if I lose weight? It turns out that if I can drop my weight by about 14kg (30lbs) then the multiplier will be zero if I call to renegotiate the policy.

If that’s not motivation I don’t know what is.

TL;DR: my BMI score has increased my monthly insurance quote beyond my budget but it’s fixable with weight loss.

submitted by /u/AlchemicalTheorist
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2BtvIQc

No comments:

Post a Comment