Monday, November 5, 2018

Struggling to find the right tracking method

Lurker, first time poster. I've been on a "weight loss journey" for like a year now, during which I lost 20 lbs and then gained 12 lbs back recently. I was 150 at my highest, 130 at my lowest (this year), currently 142. I'm 4'11" and 36 years old so my sedentary TDEE is pretty low. My primary goal is to get back in shape after a few years of basically not moving at all, but my secondary goal (which I know is really important for my mental health) is to get within a healthy BMI range.

When I've tried to lose weight in the past I've tried using MFP or other tracking systems, and I just HATE them for a variety of reasons, the big one being that it takes SO MUCH TIME and effort to log everything. I generally eat healthy, well-balanced home-cooked meals...I know I just eat too much, especially related to stress. I'm definitely a volume eater and I only really feel "well" when I eat a high protein, mostly vegetarian diet with tons of veggies and simple carbs. I have thought about just turning to pre-packaged food for awhile so I can be more sure of calorie counts, but so far I've been trying to follow the advice that this should be a long-term sustainable change rather than a short term special diet. There is no way in hell I will ever use a food scale to calculate everything precisely; besides, every time I have, my mental ballpark guesstimates have been within 100 calories of what the precisely-measured portion has been. I'm also not a snacker - I eat 2-3 meals a day, period, and usually skip breakfast.

Lately I've been trying to generally estimate my daily CICO but focusing on tracking my weight instead. This hasn't really been working though, even though I only weigh myself naked in the morning - my weight seems to vary SO MUCH depending on where I am in my menstrual cycle (usually 10 lb water weight swings). So for the past few months all I see is huge variations in my daily/weekly weight with no long-term downward trajectory.

Right now I'm debating between two approaches: 1) just eat prepackaged food for a few months and track everything to make sure I'm at a calorie deficit, or 2) try to get over my "volume eater" approach and just be much more controlled about portion size

Any advice would be helpful! I know at the end of the day it's all just math, but I really want to find a sustainable approach I can stick to long-term.

submitted by /u/neverendingjourneyof
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2quv8eA

No comments:

Post a Comment