Monday, November 5, 2018

This is why I began my weight loss journey in the first place

The thing that really got me to start doing the hard work to lose weight was the desire to be fit enough to go on all the outdoor adventures that I wanted. Of course I wanted to be slender and “hot,” but after a long time on the edge between overweight and obese BMI it became easy to become complacent about the way I looked. What really got to me was having to say “no” when my friends wanted to go for a long hike or a kayaking trip because I was afraid that I couldn’t keep up or that I would be sore for days afterward. It was embarrassing to be huffing and puffing to climb a mountain that my friends could climb with ease, or to have to take more breaks than everyone else when doing manual labor at the garden where I volunteered.

Yesterday I just got back from a 10-mile backpacking trip and I feel FANTASTIC. I was worried that I was going to be slow and make everyone take breaks while I catch my breath, but to my surprise I managed to keep up with everyone just fine. On the first day we hiked about 7 miles in about 4 hours (including a few snack and selfie breaks) to our campsite, and I was pleasantly tired rather than completely exhausted the way I might have been before beginning my weight loss journey. It occurred to me that my 30-ish pound pack weighed about as much as the total amount of weight that I have lost so far. No wonder I was doing so well—I used to carry that much weight around all the time!

The icing on the cake was that when I weighed myself this morning, I was down to 144 pounds, so I’m officially at a healthy BMI! I was expecting a slight increase due to water weight from sore muscles and high-sodium food, but I guess the hiking triggered a whoosh from the mini-plateau I had last week. I’m definitely going for a long hike next time it looks like I’m starting to plateau.

It’s just really encouraging to see concrete results. Not only do I see improvement on the scale and in the mirror, but I can see improvement in the way my body is able to do more stuff.

submitted by /u/caprette
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2D45Uvb

No comments:

Post a Comment