Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Weight loss troubles potentially because of thyroid issues?

So the short of it is I've been having health problems for a long time. Like 7-8 years of fatigue inability to lose weight and I finally asked my doctor to test my thyroid and it was out of the normal range. But I have to wait to do more tests to make sure it wasn't just a fluke test. But now for background:

So I was a picky child and would basically eat pizza for lunch every day of middle school and freshman year of high school. By the time I hit my sophomore year and I went to the doctor for something or other, I was 5'4" and 165lbs. My mom bought me a gym membership and over the course of a few months I got down to about 140lbs. Well, right around this time I started getting pretty bad fatigue. Like I was almost falling asleep in class and I would just come home and collapse on to the couch. It was getting so bad for me in class that my dad started giving me coffee in the morning every day before school so that I could at least partially function. At the time, nobody else my age really drank coffee much yet.

My senior year of high school I started on some birth control that I had absolutely awful side affects to. I gained 20lbs over two months and was miserable. I promptly got off of it but still kept all the weight. So I was 5'5" and 160lbs (yes I kept growing).

So this fatigue started sophomore year for me and has lasted and gotten worse as time has gone on. I don't even know how I managed to graduate from college because I was so lethargic and fatigued. I could barely focus in class and just existing has been a struggle. And all this while, I was pretty regularly working out. I know my sophomore year of college I tried an Atkins like died and maybe lost a couple pounds but very quickly gained it back because it was not a lifestyle change but something I saw as a temporary diet.

So before my senior year in college I went to my doctor about losing weight and I got a referral to a dietitian. They both told me the same thing: walk 10,000 steps a day and try to eat less (they recommended 1400-1600 calories for me). So I started counting calories. I was on and off for a while but I've been consistently on for at least a year now. Only problem is I'm not seeing any results. I've been eating between 1,400-1,500 calories and using my food scale but seeing no results. It's extra hard now because I went from working in a coffee shop in college to sitting at a desk now. So I'm even more careful with my food choices and making extra efforts to go to the gym after work now than I was before. And still. no. results. (and now I'm 5'6" and 175lbs)

Now this brings us up to more recently. I have been doing a ton of research on why I might always feel so crappy. Like all the time. It seems like I match a lot of the symptoms for hypothyroidism (fatigue, sensitivity to cold, dry skin, weight gain, muscle aches and stiffness, and impaired memory/mental function) and it runs in the family. And now that I've had one test that is out of the normal range, I have to wait a couple weeks to go back to see if it's consistent. Only problem is that thyroid hormones fluctuate a ton and even if I do have a problem, I may get a test result back that leads to the conclusion that I don't have an issue.

So I guess my question is for people that do have medical issues like hypothyroidism or other issues, how have you dealt with it? And do you think there's anything else I can do if I end up getting regular thyroid results? I'm kind of at my wit's end for trying things because it has literally been years of trying with no results and feeling superbly shitty all the time. I was also honestly amazed my new doctor even listened to me about my fatigue because I've been blown off so many times before and told I was just exaggerating.

submitted by /u/zzaannsebar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OTwmdm

No comments:

Post a Comment