Monday, December 3, 2018

My mental health makes it feel like I'm cheating. (Exhaustion, EDNOS, medication)

Hi there, I'm Emily, and I'm an occupational therapist. Here's a little background on my mental health. I hope this is OK to post. I'm also diagnosed with EDNOS because in the past I've had ala carte symptoms of anorexia (restriction without meeting the DSM BMI cutoff) and bulimia (bingeing without purging). I see a psychiatrist for my depression on top of that and I'm medicated and receiving psychotherapy for all of those issues.

The good news is, for the most part, I've got a good regimen and mood wise I've been pretty stable. The bad: I've chosen to live with excessive daytime sleepiness/chronic fatigue. It was what came along with my current chemical cocktail with side effects. I'd manage work and when I got home I immediately fell into bed, exhausted, and slept 4 hours of the afternoon away. Once awake, I'd eat dinner and be up again for a few hours before sleeping another 8+ through the night for another work day. It sucked to be this tired, but it was better than being debilitatingly depressed.

My stats, if it matters: 5'0" and 164#. Thanksgiving and Halloween were hard this year. I gained 9# in 3 weeks and felt like I was spiraling out of control into another binge cycle. Since August of 2017 I lost ~40# with CICO with the help of my doctor and this sub, and this was a setback. I still want to lose another #40 so that my UGW would be something like 120#. (This was agreed upon by myself and my doctor)

Under the recommendation of my doctor, I began taking Ritalin about a week ago for focus at work (since I have been falling asleep at work during my lunch break). I have nothing but good news to report thus far. I haven't taken a "nap" in the afternoon since I started on it and I literally feel like I've gotten hours of my life back. I come home from work and have energy to read, to go for a walk, to do laundry, to grocery shop, to have a tea with friends. And I haven't felt the desire to binge or obsess about food either. As a result I've lost 6# that I gained and I'm really encouraged but I'm also worried. I don't want to be dependent on this for my weight loss success and I've heard it is hard to come off of it (triggering desire to binge again).

Has anybody else gone through something like this? Just looking to get it off my chest, I suppose, and hear back from this community. Thanks for letting me vent. Hope this kind of post is OK. Thanks everyone.

submitted by /u/tatt2edtherapist
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2PgHZei

No comments:

Post a Comment