Sunday, March 1, 2020

Things I have learned about weight loss since I took up running. Part 1: Q - how do you run a marathon? A - One step at a time.

Disclaimer: I have not, nor do I plan to run a marathon in the near future (although I did walk one in the distant past).

I’ve tried running once or twice in the past, but it’s never really stuck before - I’m not really your typical runners build. But in January 2019 decided to give it another go, and for some reason, this time, the go just keeps going.

Since last January I have covered more than 700km, and spent almost 100 hours running. 100 hours is a lot of time to think about things, and I’ve spent a lot of that time thinking about the parallels between running and weight loss.

Rather than put everything into one looooong post, I’m going to break things up into shorter posts. But today I’m going to start with talking about the work.

We often talk about how weight loss is a marathon not a sprint. A marathon is 26.2 miles long. But you have to run a lot more miles than that, if you want to cross the finish line.

Marathon training often involves 30-60 miles of running per week for the 6-12 weeks before the race. That’s a lot of mileage.

In a more specific example, I’ve got my first half marathon coming up in 2 weeks. Since I started training in late November I have run more than 300km. Ideally I would have been closer to 350, but back to back weekend storms here meant I couldn’t safely get out to do the mileage I wanted.

If I’d been able to stick to my schedule, by the time I crossed the finish line, in order to run 21km, I would have run more than 400km.

That’s the work. And the only person who could do that work was me.

In many ways the purpose of running a marathon, half marathon, 10K, 5K etc is not to complete the race. It’s nice to get that medal and T-shirt, but most people don’t run races just for the swag.

The purpose of running a marathon (or any race) is to demonstrate to yourself, or to the world, that you are someone who is capable of running a marathon.

The medal is as much a recognition of the work you did to get to the start line, as the distance from A to B on the day.

So what has this got to do with weight loss?

It’s all about the work. If you want to run a marathon, you have to put in the miles. No-one can do your training runs for you. No-one can get up for an early run before work for you. No-one can head out into the miserable rain for you.

Ultimately, you have to take responsibility for your own training.

Just as the only person who can lose the weight you are carrying is you. And you have to work at it, to make changes in your life, to be willing to make sacrifices, and to be willing to let yourself be uncomfortable.

Because the purpose of weight loss is not to cross the goal weight finish line and collect a medal. It is to be someone who can sustain their goal weight in the long term.

We lose weight one pound at a time, and then we maintain one day at a time. Because no matter how much we might wish it, no-one else can do it for us.

Next time: Data, truth, and the Norway problem.

submitted by /u/ladyapocryphal
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2TxMzZS

No comments:

Post a Comment