Tuesday, December 8, 2020

[F/24/5'10, SW: ~216, CW: 200, GW: 165] One year ago today, I was admitted to the hospital. Since then, it's been a slow process to get into a good enough place to finally buckle down and start my weight loss journey in a healthy way now. This is what I did to get here.

So here's my story for anyone interested: One year ago today, I was hospitalized for about a week. For my lungs, not my weight, but the reason it came to this point was the same - I was not taking care of myself. It felt like I had not truly been present in my body for a long time (due to mental health issues and chronic pain it was not a great place to be), but finding myself in a hospital bed all of the sudden was a big wake up call.

Since then, I've been trying to slowly reconnect with myself and make change upon change to be able to get to a place where I can start really focusing on getting in better shape in a healthy way. Over the past year, I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, but I have turned my life around completely. I ended a very heavy relationship of 4yrs, quit my studies and moved back to Amsterdam to live with friends and take the time to focus on myself and pursue my dreams. I've started to take my health a lot more seriously and have seen my GP more in the past few months than in the past few years. I realized my ADHD was way more of an obstacle in my life than I thought and started medication, which has had a tremendous impact. I've started to move my body again and am rebuilding my relationship with exercising (I used to work out a lot but always hated it as I felt so bad in my body). I'm practicing A LOT of self-care and am starting to actually enjoy dressing up again. And of course, I've been making a lot of changes to my diet, 16:8 IF being the last addition.

During my hospitalization, they had to measure my weight - something I had avoided for years, as I struggled a lot with disordered eating and the scale was a big trigger. Last week, I bought my own scale, and I now happily stand on it every day. I feel like a completely different person, and I'm ready to take myself on.

I guess the point that I want to make with this post is this: When people say it takes time, that doesn't just go for the period that you're actively losing weight. It takes time to even get to the point where you can start. I used to get so angry at myself that I wasn't doing enough or that things weren't moving fast enough, and I felt so much shame that I just wanted to disappear, only making matters worse. It took being hospitalized to realize that the only way forward was to treat myself with the love and care that the doctors and nurses did. It might sound funny, but the way in which they took me seriously and treated my symptoms without focusing too much on how things got to this point or blaming me for it, really made me realize how I didn't give myself that grace.

One year ago, I wouldn't have thought I'd be proud of losing 16lbs in a year. Now I can see that I've lost so much more, and that I've already made the biggest steps.

Thanks for readying and for the support of this community. Any tips for people just starting out are also more than welcome!

submitted by /u/mevrouwkonijn
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37MIR5M

No comments:

Post a Comment