Tuesday, December 22, 2020

I'm confused about diets, intuitive eating, and just want to have a conversation about it all

Hi all -

Firstly please forgive me for this post, it’s a bit ramble and I’m just trying to figure things out.

I have been reading about intuitive eating and begun trying to practice it. Just a quick FYI - I have had VSG surgery and lost 25ish kg this year - which is under what I should have lost but COVID and staying at home more hasn’t helped but also overeating the ‘wrong’ kind of foods has crept back in - being stuck at home 24/7 has just compounded things a bit.

Now I know some people may think intuitive eating is just an excuse to eat everything etc but it is not and I am not treating it that way. I know that intuitive eating can take a long time to master and even practice consistently.

I want to lose weight, I’ve tried every diet under the sun and while I know logically staying within a calorie deficit will help me lose weight I also believe that restricting can lead to binging. Now i believe you can restrict in 2 ways - you set a calorie goal you have to stay within or you say no to certain foods.

I don’t believe in good or bad foods, I believe all foods can have and should have a place in a healthy lifestyle - it’s about balance.

But to get that balance do I first need to eliminate certain foods that I’m overeating?

I’m just confused because the goal with IE is NOT weight loss - which I understand, it may be a side effect but it is not the goal. There is also some IE advocates that say forget diets, and 1200 is based on a 12 year old child, etc etc. I don’t feel comfortable with these statements - but I know diets haven’t helped me, because even though I lose weight initially from diets, I ended up gaining it all back and usually extra. Yes, I’ve lost the 25kg but I attribute that because of surgery and physically impossible to eat at times.

So if I want to lose weight - should I try? I’ll admit I’m not really doing it for health reasons - my blood work has been fine. It’s pretty much I want to fit into nice clothing.

Should I follow deficits that I know lead me to spiral? Seems like I shouldn’t but how else can I lose weight but changing what I eat - and quantity and quality is important.

If I am trying to intuitively eat how do I rely on my body to tell me what I need when I have PCOS, Depression, and have had a sleeve surgery (cut out stomach) and taking various medication - like how can I trust myself?

I’m just very confused about a path forward and what is going to work - I don’t want to keep thinking about food I just want to reach a place of moderation.

Would love to hear just general thoughts/opinion/advice on the topic!

submitted by /u/NoticeMeBUTNotNow
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3rjiLQW

No comments:

Post a Comment