Monday, December 7, 2020

New Goal: Helping my Parents Find Lose-It Success

Hi All! This is my first real post on this sub, but I’ve been a long-time lurker and r/loseit has been a big factor in my weight loss success! First, a little bit about me (22F, 5’7, SW240lbs, CW179lbs, GW160lbs). After an injury my senior year of high school, overeating led to a very quick 60lbs weight gain. By the time I started college, I was 240lbs and very unhappy with myself. Over the first two-three years of college, I tried to watch what I ate and lost a few pounds here and there, but was incapable of losing in a consistent and sustainable way- ENTER CICO. I started using the app Lost It and applying CICO principles during quarantine, and finally found my sustainable method! Suddenly I was losing an average of 6-8lbs a month and was feeling better both mentally and physically.

I began preaching the benefits of CICO and Lose It to anyone that wanted to hear it, and when I came home for thanksgiving break, my parents told me that they were both struggling with weight loss and wanted to know if I would help them start using the CICO Lose It method that had helped me make so much progress. I had them both weigh themselves, came up with a non-restrictive but relatively low-cal list of foods that would help them stay within their daily calorie budgets, and started making their lunches and snacks for them them to take to work. Here we are just a couple weeks later and my mom is down 6lbs and my dad is down 9lbs! I can see that they are both already feeling happier and more confident, and they (for the first time) seem genuinely optimistic and excited about the prospect of weight loss!

Not only am I ridiculously proud of them and happy to be giving back to my favorite people in the world, but being their weight-loss guide has motivated me to be a good example and to really recommit to my own weight loss goals. I have 20lbs to go on my ~80lbs weight loss journey, and feel more committed than ever to seeing it through. I even managed to break through the brief plateau that I hit around 183lbs after thanksgiving. Helping my parents find the motivation and tools to embark on their own weight loss journey has been beneficial for ALL of us, and in addition to losing my last 20lbs, my new weight loss-related goal is to be the support that my parents need to be happy and content with themselves and their weight- and I can’t wait to continue the journey!

TLDR/: when in doubt- help someone else!

submitted by /u/hydrationkween
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3oJOuZB

No comments:

Post a Comment