Friday, December 25, 2020

Parents in denial about my obesity - how should I react?

Hi everyone! I hope everyone is having a great holiday. I have a small problem regarding my parents and I want to know if there is anything I can do to make the situation better. For reference, I am 21 year old woman, 5'4, and my starting weight was approx. 237 pounds. I am currently at 207 pounds (lost 30 pounds in 3 1/2 months, yay!) and my goal weight is around 130 pounds. I have been obese for pretty much my entire life: I was obese throughout my childhood and my weight slowly creeped up as a I got older. I was always told by my parents that my weight was fine and that I shouldn't listen to my doctors after the numerous times they told me I was obese. I was told "You're not skinny and you're not fat" which, in retrospect, is a completely ridiculous thing to say. I am losing weight primarily for health reasons; my dad has Type II diabetes (he is not obese) and my mother, who is obese, has high blood pressure. These things really scare me and so I am working very hard to reach a healthy BMI. My father has been supportive of my weight loss and encourages me to lose more but when my mother visited today, he proudly declared that I was "nowhere near obese" during a conversation about weight. In retrospect, I probably should not have entertained this conversation at all, as it is an inappropriate topic to discuss in general. I guess that's Christmas family conversation for ya :/. I will try to avoid that topic in the future. Anyway, my BMI is currently 35.5, so clearly that is not true. I am obviously not "nowhere near obese." I am obese, period. It may seem strange, but this genuinely hurt my feelings. It felt like he was lying to me or, at the very least, in a lot of denial about my problem. It almost made me question my perception of my weight, which I did a lot during my childhood as well. Not only that, but it almost implies that my goals aren't as important as I think they are. My question is: Should I have a conversation with him to help him realize that I am, in fact, obese and that losing weight is very important to my wellbeing? Or is this something I truly don't have control over and that it would be better to just focus on myself?

submitted by /u/HaruhixAngel
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2KZaP6s

No comments:

Post a Comment