Friday, January 1, 2021

Self quarantining for 2 weeks helped me lose 8 pounds and rethink my entire weight loss approach

When I got home from college for winter break I wanted to be careful so I quarantined for about 2 weeks in my room. Little did I know this caused quite a few things which led to me losing weight in a much happier manner than ever before.

I had my mom bring a plate and leave it outside my door everyday for lunch and dinner. I told her I was trying to lose weight so make the portions small but reasonable. We usually eat family style and I realized from having a set portion everyday that I struggle a lot with portion control. If it’s in front of me I will eat it even if I’m full, sometimes I will overeat to the point of getting a food coma and passing out in order to digest it all.

I ate it slowly and tried to drag it out for as long as possible because getting food was one of the only interesting parts of being in quarantine. What’s weird is I actually felt really full after eating and didn’t want more? Once the plate was empty I was just like oh, time to leave it outside my door.

After a week I didn’t even feel that hungry during dinnertime since I ate enough during lunch. I have never been able to do this before, being able to distinguish whether I was hungry or not. Before I was ALWAYS hungry either out of boredom, habit since it was meal time, or actual hunger.

Yesterday was my first day out of quarantine, just in time for New Years! My family ordered Indian food to celebrate and I was so scared I would overeat. I’m the type of person to look at Yelp reviews and get the best tasting dishes because that’s how much I love food.

We ate family style but the shocking thing is, I didn’t overeat! In fact, I ate just enough to really enjoy it all and feel full. Just a couple scoops of each dish and a piece of naan. When I felt a little full, I put my chopsticks down, took my plate and put it in the dishwasher. It was a miracle and I was so happy I didn’t eat to the point where I was sick, which overall would have made me enjoy the food less.

Since high school and college, I have gained 30 pounds. I’ve been trying to lose weight for 6 years. I would have this huge plan whether it be fasting or keto, I would download calorie tracking apps, make whole meal prep/diet plans, I would go to the extreme and have high calorie restrictions for myself to get faster results (it’s hard as a shortie). I realize now that this kind of thing doesn’t work for me. Whenever I starved myself, I would constantly feel hungry, riding it out for a few days before giving up and binging again.

This morning I weight myself for the first time since coming back home and I went from 138lbs to 130lbs!! (Stats: f19, 5’2) I know a lot of this is definitely water weight since calorie wise it’s not possible, but I didn’t expect this much progress especially when I didn’t get these results even when starving myself.

I thought it could be muscle loss but I’ve been doing workouts (I hate exercise but madfit has really fun dance workouts) in my room and trying to move for 1-2 hours everyday. My clothes feel looser and I went down a bra cup (ah my poor pear body shape).

Some other factors I think that have contributed to me feeling less hunger: I’ve been less stressed since I don’t have to worry about schoolwork, get 8 hours of sleep, and my relationship with my family has improved since coming back home (I had a lot of childhood abuse issues to work through).

Food has always been a coping mechanism for me to deal with all this, to the point it was dominating my life. I’m glad I was able to figure out how to take back control and not let it continue to ruin my body anymore. I’m quite hopeful for the future. Happy new year everyone!

submitted by /u/Letsgogetboba
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2X54p8E

No comments:

Post a Comment