Monday, February 1, 2021

I am appalled at what took place yesterday at a family gathering, and quite honestly humiliated. People go to the extremes to discourage weight loss..

Some background: my whole family is overweight. My grandpa is a diabetic, my mom had to have a gastric sleeve (but put most of the weight back on), etc. I got pretty heavy for my height and age (5’4, 200lbs) and so I’ve been going to the gym now for 2 years and I’ve lost down to 160lbs. I’m still not where I want to be, as my normal weight before I gained was 145lbs. So that’s where I want to get back to.

What happened:

My great aunt was discussing her own attempt at losing weight and how much more she needed to lose, and I then just in conversation told her I needed to lose around that same amount, too.

As soon as I said this my grandfather started yelling at me, saying “YOU ARE TOO SKINNY YOU HAVE TO STOP WITH THE WEIGHT LOSS. YOU MUST NOT BE EATING, YOU LOOK PALE AND SICKLY” and I said “I’m not even near the healthy weight range for my age and height yet...??” Then he made me announce my weight in front of everyone.. “160 pounds..” then on top of that they didn’t believe me.

They actually went and got the scale and set it down and they gathered around me to watch me weigh myself (I weighed in at 165 actually) and they couldn’t believe it. Basically still saying that I shouldn’t continue to lose weight, I’m “large framed” and “big boned” and I need to stay that way, etc. it was so embarrassing and exhausting. I kinda just needed somewhere to tell this story, so I’m sorry for the rant.

Bottom line is, people will go to the absolute extremes to keep you from succeeding. Your success makes them uncomfortable because it shows them what is possible for themselves- and what they’re not working towards.. don’t let them get under your skin, it’s really hard not to but keep pushing towards your goals and dreams.

submitted by /u/ferg1e
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3t9yB1k

No comments:

Post a Comment