Monday, February 15, 2021

Lifelong dieter here. CW: 93kg/205lbs SW: 96kg/211lbs GW: 66kg/147lbs. Surprised myself by teaching my Instagram fitness model-esque housemates about CICO! I know stuff! We know stuff!

So I'm back on the weight-loss bandwagon.

5' 7" CW: 93kg/205lbs SW: 97kg/211lbs GW: 66kg/147lbs

I'm 35/F and have been at this since I was literally a child. Overweight kid etc etc. As a result, I've pretty much told myself that I'm rubbish at this and a failure at weight loss and fitness.

Anyway, I currently live with a couple who are not Instagram fitness models but 100% could be. Their bodies are both incredible. They are both super active and workout just about every day. It's good for me because it encourages my healthy habits. Diet-wise they appear to eat healthy most of the time, so I assumed they knew what they were doing. I'll call them Hayley and Steve. Hayley's dad is a PT and Steve did sports science at uni so fairly knowledgable I assumed.

Hayley did give me some dubious advice once. I told her about my weight loss goals. I currently IF, count macros and calories and run three times a week. I also go on one long hike a week and ride horses a few times a week. I'm currently losing at a rate of 1kg/2.2lb a week which I think is fairly healthy.

She said, 'oh if you don't want to prolong the pain and ramp up the speed you lose weight, you should do strength workouts a few times a week, it'll come off much quicker'.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the value of strength training, but I don't think the goal should be to up the speed of my losses. We all know here that fast losses are generally the least sustainable.

The other day female-could-be-fitness-model housemate says that she wants to lose 5kg/11lb. My first thought of course is 'from where??!'. But whatever, she has her reasons I guess. So I'm sat with both of them on Sunday as they are trying to work out how this can be done. I wasn't initially part of the conversation but I had to interrupt. They really had no idea. The conversation goes like this:

Me: 'Are you guys okay?'
Hayley: 'I really can't work this calorie thing out. And how am I suppose to know how much protein to eat??'
Me: 'Have do downloaded MFP?'
Hayley: 'Yes but I don't understand it. It's giving me 1200 calories per day and 120g of protein!'
Me: 'Well just change it to what you want (thinking this is a tech issue)?'
Hayley: 'How do I know what that is??'
Me: 'Have you worked out your TDEE?'
Hayley and Steve: 'What??'
Me: 'Or your BMR?'
Hayley and Steve: ??!!

So I proceeded to explain to them all about TDEE/BMR and how to work out a deficit and their desired macros. This was all brand new information to them.

It made me realise that we know our shit!

We've been doing this so much that we could run courses on the science of weight loss.

We are the experts! We even know more than those fit folk sometimes!

We just need to listen to ourselves!

submitted by /u/mazmataz
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37g4z2A

No comments:

Post a Comment