Sunday, February 14, 2021

Losing weight and having treats

After 18 months of losing weight, wanted to share a few lessons learned in addition to the standard ones of CICO, the right macros, IF and OMAD.

What about you? any strategies or tips to share? Here are a couple of key ones for me:

  1. Getting motivated: At 229 pounds, I got scared. It became very clear that I could easily keep eating 3,500 calories a day or more, keep gaining weight and still be hungry. I did not want to weigh more; was tired of being hungry all the time not matter what I ate and hated clothes shopping or taking pictures. (I also took some unflattering selfies as a much-needed reality check).
  2. Learning a new lifestyle: it's not adopting a temporary diet, it's about learning and practicing a new permanent healthy lifestyle. This has meant a slower weight loss but, as a former yo-yo dieter, it is great to not be falling back into old patterns.
  3. Yes to treats! some people can totally change up their eating approach (vegan, Keto etc) but I really need (want) my treats otherwise I will yo-yo; it's hard-wired into my psyche. However, I have learned a few things about treats:
    Some treats are worth it and some are not.
    * Fast food french fries? usually not worth it, not that tasty (and leaves me craving more!) and a third of my daily calories.
    * Butter on my toast and cream in my coffee? a definite yes! but 12 grams of butter instead of a hefty eyeballed "tablespoon" and one ounce of cream instead of three.
    Some treats are too tempting. So no ginger cookies, no cheezies, and no milk chocolate in my cupboards.
    Some treats aren't satisfying: looking at you airpopped popcorn.
    Discovering new treats: roasted veggies, raspberries, avocados, shrimp, prawns, chicken skewers, lean turkey pepperoni, sockeye salmon, crisp apples, goat cheese, organic celery, dark chocolate, big green salads, delicious low-calorie lime salad dressings instead of ranch.
    Delaying treats: telling myself, not today for that treat, but for sure I can have it next week or the beginning of the month. Lol, I have had an IPA in the fridge for three months now. It's a funny diet hack but really works maybe because it doesn't feel like denial but retains agency and choice?
    Now eating treats is a conscious choice, instead of automatically inhaling two or more servings without considering the calories or if I am eating treats to cope with stress.
  4. Fast food at home: learning how to have easy delicious fast food at home: have nailed a four-minute tasty breakfast sandwich with microwaved poached eggs, buying delicious soups and adding frozen veggies and protein, excellent gourmet sour dough bread for toasted open face sandwiches.

Also want to say a huge thank you to this community (and progress pics) for sharing lessons learned, progress made, and encouraging and supporting healthy weight loss journeys.

Would love to hear your favourite tips and strategies.

submitted by /u/Light_a_Candle
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2LTcWtC

No comments:

Post a Comment