Thursday, February 18, 2021

Set Your Environment Up Right and Move Because It Feels Good

I've tried losing weight in the past, and the last time I really was losing it was back in 2019. I was walking every day for at least 30 minutes during my work lunch, and I ended up moving a lot more after I got home as well. But that changed after moving and getting out of my lunch walk routine. Then, as I was starting to get back into it a little bit, COVID hit and I started working from home. I've actually found it's significantly harder to get out and move when you stay home all day, mostly because I'm in PJ's and no shoes. Not to mention I like my house and want to stay in it whereas I did not like my office and wanted to get out.

However, I've started moving a good deal more recently, and while the weight isn't flying off (yet, I still need to work out some kinks in the diet), I'm almost moving as much as I was back in 2019. And I've been able to narrow it down to three reasons.

***Reason Number 1***: I keep my socks in my desk drawer. I know this sounds kind of stupid, but having my socks in my drawer instead of in my bedroom makes it easier to put them on during the day, since I usually roll out of bed and go straight to work before I've even think of putting on shoes. And I've found that once the socks are on, shoes of some sort (muck boots, tennis shoes, etc.) just tend to end up on my feet at some point during the day, making stepping outside that much easier.

***Reason Number 2***: I'm a lot more patient about weight loss. I keep reminding myself that I didn't gain all of this weight in a year, so I shouldn't be upset if I can't lose it all in three months. Instead, I'm focusing on building the small habits that not only get me to where I want to be, but will also help me stay there.

***Reason Number 3***: I move because I want to. This is one of the biggest things for me that I'm super excited about. In the past I've tried planning out exercise, setting a walking schedule, mini/atomic habits of doing one pushup and hoping it turns into more, going all out and pushing myself, etc. You name it, I've probably tried it. And while those types of things certainly work for others, they never seemed to work for me. I never stick to schedules, going all out leaves me tired and sore and unhappy more than anything, and the mini habit strategy leaves me feeling like I'm getting absolutely nowhere (not saying it doesn't have its place, but that place doesn't seem to be in my weight loss strategy).

What I've found recently, though, is that while I hate running when I don't want to run, I do love running when I do want to run. So I've started letting myself run when I feel like it, and accepting that I won't run when I don't. And it's been working.

Currently, I don't run every day. But I have been running at least once a week, and often two to three times a week. And I don't run long distances, but I've been running anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of a mile until I feel like stopping (which is an achievement for an obese person like me). I've found that this keeps me wanting to go back the next time, and usually the only reason I don't end up going running in a given day is because work and life take over, I'm too tired, or the weather is rough. But even then, because I'm actually enjoying running, I've already eagerly gone out a couple times when old me would have been trying to think of an excuse to stay in. Basically, I've stopped looking at running as a habit I want to build and more as a hobby I enjoy doing when I can.

I've also started walking more, and that's because I only let myself listen to audiobooks while I'm out walking.

With all this movement, I look forward to posting some kick-butt before and after photos here in a year or two (or three, who's rushing?).

submitted by /u/jmcbutter
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ZuVz5G

No comments:

Post a Comment