Thursday, February 18, 2021

The ONLY mindset that made me lose weight

Hi!

I am inspired by this entire community and wanted to share my own advice on what worked for me when I had to lose weight. That still works whenever I need it again. Now with pandemic-kilos for example.

This is my personal opinions and my own experience but I write this because I truly think it works wonders. I used to watch videos on YouTube and have apps and so on that had me inspired for a day or two. Guys with six packs on YouTube who said stuff like “you have to aim for working out 5 times a week, no excuses” or things like that. It didn’t keep me motivated nor did it provide a realistic way of achieving my goals. After a while of almost giving up and feeling bad about myself every time I didn’t succeed, I started thinking like this; “All you have to do is go to the gym/(or whatever place it is you do your workouts). Then you can go home.”

What happened is I went more often. And once I was at the gym I always wanted to at least walk on the treadmill for a little bit and sometimes even do a whole workout. I removed pressure and promised myself that if I went there and didn’t want to workout at all, I could go home. But that never happened. And if it would have it would’ve been ok, but this is a psychological trick that literally changed everything for me. Small baby steps is key, working out for 15 minutes three times a week was big progress. And it will feel so much better, like you achieved something, even if it wasn’t “a whole workout”. You went, you did something and you are making progress.

The second biggest thing about this is that it creates routine, which is absolute key to successful weight loss. For many of us I think the gym/where you workout can be an anxious place. Going there more often will familiarise it, make it easier to just go there without much thought. It will also set your body up for regular exercise, rather than having these “working out all the time for a month and then not at all for 11 months” kind of thing, that I experienced a lot before this. I used to not be able to run for 5 minutes, now I run for 60 minutes and feel good. Most importantly, it has stayed (sort of) that way for FOUR YEARS. Only because whenever I’m not top game (which is 95% of time) I think those words in my head and I go and I make little progress.

During the pandemic I realise the gym might not be the place to be, but this technique could be applied at home too, just not as effectively. Tell yourself “I will just put on my gym clothes, lay out the yoga mat and get on it - then we’ll see”. It’s not a technique I think works at all as good as you’re still at home, maybe near Tv/bed etc but it just might do the trick.

submitted by /u/loverofbubblythings
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3uaYE8L

No comments:

Post a Comment