Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Wecipe Wednesday - February 3, 2021 - Sandwiches!

Welcome back to Wecipe Wednesday. I volunteered to lead a return of this longstanding regular thread at r/loseit at least until the end of March 2021.

I have selected 13 meals or dishes that I keep making over and over that should be compatible with most diets. I'll include the ingredients list, nutritional information along with other hints. Some recipes are vegetarian/vegan, others not so much.

Post your favourite healthy recipes here to share with the rest of the loseit community!

Due to the spirit of the sub, please try to include the calorie and nutritional information if at all possible. MyFitnessPal has awesome recipe calculators you can use!

For the most part, I target my meals to have a component in the 350-550 kcal range. My lunch and dinner tend to be right around 400 kcal each and dinner can be a bit heavier, or include a side dish to bring the calories up a bit. When I was eating 1650 kcal/day the breakdown was roughly 400/400/600/250 for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks.

Anyhow: enough background on to the recipes!


Sandwiches

Sandwiches can be things of beauty, but a common refrain heard around weight loss is that bread should be avoided, and yet I declared that I wanted to be a smaller guy who eats bread. Could I find a way to fit a good sandwich in to my rotation? If so, were there any tricks that I could take advantage of to help them fit into my diet? Can be such an easy lunch, so how can I make it mine?

Here's one such recent outing https://i.redd.it/j5381l75o9f61.jpg

  • 55g baguette bread cut in half - 140 kcal (Approximately 1/5 of a standard baguette)

  • 32g Honey Ham - 35 kcal

  • 28g Provolone (1 slice) - 80 kcal

  • 1 tbsp Whole Grain Dijon Mustard - 10 kcal

  • 1 leaf Romaine lettuce - 0 kcal

  • Chobani Hot Chocolate Yogurt - 140 kcal

TOTAL 405 kcal (48/11/25 grams of carbs/fat/protein)

So what are the tricks?

  1. Choose good bread in appropriate portions. Hard to make a 400 kcal sandwich if your bread already adds up to more than that.
  2. Mustard is amazing. I usually have several kinds open and it has become my go to "spread" for sandwiches. Yes mayonnaise and butter have their place, but most mustard I can slather on without measuring.
  3. Veggies. I try to throw some greens into my sandwiches. lettuce, baby spinach, dill pickles (not sweet bread and butter).
  4. Cheese. It's a tricky one. Here I threw in a whole slice, but I will often cut that back to 14-20 grams, half a slice or slice my own from a
  5. Cold cuts tend not to be calorie dense unless they are very fat (salami, proscuitto) so pile them on. Some days I may have closer to 90-120g of leaner meat in my sandwich and skip the cheese.
  6. You can substitute lower calorie cold cuts like turkey or chicken if you want to cut the fat content a bit more.
  7. Consider your side. Depending on my mood, I can swap out my yogurt side from this meal for lots of other choices. (Note I usually enjoy the Chobani less sugar varieties). An ~80-120 kcal cup of soup, a piece of fruit, some cottage cheese, a small salad. I rarely make time for chips though, I prefer to use my carbs for good bread.

Overall, once you portion your bread and cheese or other fats appropriately, it just works. You can stuff the sandwich with low calorie density stuff and have a tasty satisfying meal. I will also sometimes have a similarly sized sandwich as a snack after a 10K run.

What about you? What's cooking for you this week?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3oJMgce

No comments:

Post a Comment