Thursday, March 4, 2021

[Century Club] March 4, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: Surprising Food Facts - Mistakes were made - Time to Vent - Relief Valves - Seeing Objectively - Tips you hate - Fear and Self-Loathing - Starting - 2020 recap


Today's topic: Is it worth it?

A few days ago I saw a post asking if the weight loss was worth it. "Do people treat you better? Do you feel better? Do you find it easier to meet people?" So that started me thinking about what exactly made my journey "worth it" for me.

Of course it was worth it from a health perspective. I will be going in for my annual physical in a couple of weeks and we'll see what my doctor thinks. I got off CPAP, maybe I can get off my blood pressure meds this year.

I'm also way more fit than I have ever been in my adult life thanks to being more regularly active. Even though I have not been running much this month, I have been walking 7500-10000 steps most days and keeping up with the NHS Strength and Flex routine that has been providing a reasonable alternative to running that should actually help me when I start running again.

At the core though it boils down to a single simple thing for me now. Self confidence. I know that I am capable of doing something most people find quite elusive: Losing a very significant amount of weight and keeping it off for longer than a year. I am in control of my weight. If I overeat, it's no one else's fault. All mine. If my eating habits lead to weight gain over time, it's my fault for not adjusting my intake to whatever my current activity levels may be.

I know well the simple knob I need to adjust so that I can stay at my current weight level. Eating just a little bit less if I want my weight to trend downwards. For the past 90 days or so I've been on a slight upwards trend. Happy Scale shows my trend weight going up at about 2 lbs/90 days so 8 lbs a year, ~100 kcal/day over maintenance at ~155. As the weather improves, and I can resume running regularly, I expect that trend will reverse. But I also know that don't need to really change much until I look at the March/April/May trend. Even if I gain another 2 lbs by June, my trend weight will be at the middle of my 10 lb maintenance range.

Anyhow, that self confidence is what drives a lot of the other non-medical benefits of keeping the weight off. Even though we're not in a current pandemic situation that allows for much in the way of social interaction, presenting myself with more confidence makes it easier to strike up random conversations and makes it easier for others to treat you well and meeting new friends or potential romantic partners.

So what about you Centurion? What makes losing 100+ lbs worth it for you? Is there some benefit of losing the weight that you didn't expect?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3c4Q3MT

No comments:

Post a Comment