Saturday, March 13, 2021

Feeling incredibly discouraged near the start of my new routine. :(

I posted this on the SuperMorbidlyObese sub as well, but I need all the advice I can get.

Here is my original thread on this forum that I posted a couple weeks ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/comments/ltbx9a/m6ft350_pounds_morbidly_obese_and_i_am/

For reference, I'm 6ft tall male, currently weighing around 345 pounds. At the start of the month I decided that enough was enough. I was almost 350 pounds and the health problems had become overwhelming. So I made a decision that I was going to immediately put in work. I cut out alcohol and most junk food from my diet. At first things seemed to be going well, and despite difficulty exercising due to back pain I soon found myself at around 343-344.

I've been using My Fitness Pal to track calories, and according to that app in order to lose two pounds per week, I need to eat under about 2500 calories per day (3500 to maintain). I've been careful about adding everything I eat, even going as far as to ADD calories in cases where I am not quite sure if I went slightly over the serving size. I've been ending up around 2,200 a day on average, and I know I'm eating a lot less because I'm feeling starved at night. It's uncomfortable, but worth it for reaching my goal. On top of that, I got an exercise bike a few days ago so that i could get a cardio workout in without hurting my back. Everything seemed perfect. And yet...

Yesterday I stepped on the scale to see that I was 345 pounds all of a sudden, having gained two pounds in a day. I was disappointed, but figured that maybe it was just a one time thing. And then today I was 346. What??? I honestly have no clue what's going on. I'm not doing much strength training so I don't think it's muscle weight. I use the exercise bike for like 15 minutes a day to burn 100 calories or so, but I don't think that it's meant to add muscle weight (correct me if I'm wrong please). I mean, the sudden weight gain does seem to correlate with me starting to use the bike but that doesn't make sense to me. And I'm DEFINITELY eating at a 1,000+ calorie deficit because I'm not cheating and am logging literally everything I eat. Like I said above, I'll go as far as to add calories to the app if I'm unsure, just to account for any potential mistakes. And I still end up about 300 calories under my daily goal nearly every day.

Here's how March has looked so far. I use the bathroom before weighing myself and don't consume anything (even water) until after in order to keep it consistent.

3/1: 347.0

3/2: 345.4

3/3: 345.2

3/4: N/A

3/5: N/A

3/6: 344.6

3/7: 343.2

3/8: 344.6

3/9: 344.0

3/10: 343.2

3/11: 343.0

3/12: 345.0

3/13: 346.0

I know looking at the scale daily isn't always recommended, but in my mind it's essential in order to stay on top of my progress. And now, all I see is that I've lost one pound since the start of the month, but who knows what the scale will add tomorrow? That's not nearly enough weight loss, and now on top of that I've actually been gaining the past couple days. I swear I'm logging everything I eat on the app, and started with the exercise bike a few days ago. I just don't understand why I'm not losing at this point. I know it's common for people to track their calories on My Fitness Pal and conveniently forget to leave out junk food before wondering why they aren't losing weight, but I promise that's not the case for me.

I do have insomnia, which I heard can mess with weight loss, but I can't do much about that right now and if I'm screwed from reaching my weight loss goals because my body has trouble falling/staying asleep, then that's going to put me into a very bad mental spot.

I thought I was doing well and now I don't know what's going on. It feels like I'm doomed to be this way forever. Even when I was 350 pounds, I looked at what others with similar BMI claimed to eat every day and couldn't imagine consuming that much food. Maybe I was taking in that many calories, but now I know for sure I'm not because I'm closely monitoring them. I'm trying so hard to lose weight, and the fact that I'm not is making me feel incredibly depressed. I'll keep working towards my goals, but it's hard when I can't see any progress. I'm already going to bed feeling starved with my 1,000+ calorie deficit. Do I need to eat even less..? I'm so lost.

submitted by /u/dataDyne_Security
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3eCBMKm

No comments:

Post a Comment