Sunday, March 7, 2021

Finally starting to see progress!

Hi there! So I am new to this subreddit and I just wanted to share how my weight loss journey started and how things are going.

In May of 2020, I (24F, 5'6") was diagnosed with a metabolic/hormonal condition called PCOS. I was at a fairly normal weight for my height back in high school, but it progressively got worse throughout college. I figured it was just due to the stress and lack of sleep, but after getting my diagnosis it made a lot more sense since weight gain is one of the main symptoms of the condition. Throughout most of my time in college, I was roughly 238 lbs and would fluctuate +/-2 lbs. I tried to work out when I could in between my classes and job, but nothing was really working. When I got my diagnosis last year that's when I realized I really needed to do something about it, especially since my condition puts me at risk for type 2 diabetes (which I already had a risk of genetically since my mom has it).

Anyways, over the past year since the diagnosis, I started to make small changes in my eating habits such as switching from my refined carb intake to whole grains, reducing my sugar intake, eating more protein and healthy fats, etc. I also started to walk every day and swim a couple of times a week. When I followed up with my doctor in October, I had dropped down to 231. It honestly didn't feel like much, but my doctor commended me for it. I then started working a job that requires a lot of walking and lifting (I work in a special ed classroom as an assistant, it definitely keeps me active). I kept up with what I was doing but slacked during December because our classroom had to quarantine and the pool I swam at closed.

I got back on it in February and joined a gym thanks to a discount, and got two free sessions with a personal trainer (I can't afford to buy a program unfortunately), but in the first session, he showed me some resistance exercises I can do in addition to my swimming and other cardio. The first one focused on upper body exercises, the second one when I have it will focus on lower body and abs. I will get to keep meeting with the trainer monthly but just as a check-in about my goals since I'm not doing a program. I've also started going to a yoga class once a week and am really enjoying it as well.

As for my progress, I just weighed myself at the gym yesterday and I dropped down to 224.6 lbs! I was so happy, I've officially lost about 14 lbs since my diagnosis and I'm going to keep working hard at it so I can get my BMI below 30! And this also feels amazing because a shirt that used to be a bit snug on me, fits better now than it used to! So I know that it's working and I just wanted to share with you all. PCOS is known to make it difficult for women who have it to lose weight and the solutions for dealing with the symptoms associated with are also variable, I'm glad that I've finally found something that is working! :D So even if you are struggling and/or have a condition like this, there is hope, don't give up!

submitted by /u/Astridv96
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3ehXp2q

No comments:

Post a Comment