Sunday, March 14, 2021

NSV: letting go of thoughts that don't serve me

Yesterday at the gym, I saw two other women that I know. Both of them are very thin/fit/conventionally attractive. It was the first time during my weight loss journey over the past few months that I've seen women I know at the gym. I was shocked to find myself immediately feeling super self-conscious/aware/judgmental of my own body and thinking about how I didn't look "good enough" yet. My instinct was to run home and comfort myself with food - that's how I would self-soothe and distract myself in the past.

The NSV was, when I got home I took a few minutes to think about what had happened. I realized I can actually separate myself from those thoughts. I can notice how they don't make a lot of sense, and how they aren't constructive for me in any way. I can acknowledge that I'm having those thoughts because of years of conditioning and learned behavior from society. And then, I can decide to let those thoughts go and remain focused on my own priorities, goals and values. I don't have to react to those thoughts or let their effects on me take hold. I just let them run their course and carried on with my day.

I've been working on meditating and it doesn't always feel like it is doing anything, but this made me realize it is actually helping!

submitted by /u/Key_Contract_8249
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/38DDUxs

No comments:

Post a Comment