Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Wecipe Wednesday - March 24, 2021 - Salads!

Welcome back to Wecipe Wednesday. I volunteered to lead a return of this longstanding regular thread at r/loseit at least until the end of March 2021.

I have selected 13 meals or dishes that I keep making over and over that should be compatible with most diets. I'll include the ingredients list, nutritional information along with other hints. Some recipes are vegetarian/vegan, others not so much.

Post your favourite healthy recipes here to share with the rest of the loseit community! Recipes don't have to fit this week's theme at all, they should just be something that you can eat reasonably frequently while actively losing weight.

Due to the spirit of the sub, please try to include the calorie and nutritional information if at all possible. MyFitnessPal has awesome recipe calculators you can use!

For the most part, I target my meals to have a component in the 350-550 kcal range. My lunch and dinner tend to be right around 400 kcal each and dinner can be a bit heavier, or include a side dish to bring the calories up a bit. When I was eating 1650 kcal/day the breakdown was roughly 400/400/600/250 for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks.

Anyhow: enough background on to the recipes!


Salads

We're coming to the end of the series of recipes I had planned to post. While I'm always messing with new recipes, many of the new ones I'm experimenting with may be a bit less focused on weight loss and as such less compatible with other people's journeys.If anyone would like to take over this series, at least for a while, that would be great.

Anyhow... for most of my journey I've relied on having 2-3 bags of prepared salad mix on hand every week. It was always an easy source of side vegetables, particularly during grilling season when our main course might be a grilled chunk of meat.

I almost always have an open bag of baby spinach on hand and enjoy that as greens in a sandwich, sauteed/wilted with garlic and lemon or as the base for a home made salad. Today's entry is one of those homemade salads.

ROASTED BEET, SPINACH AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD

Beets are super tasty and you can find them raw or already prepared in the refrigerated section of your supermarket. If it's grilling season, I like to get them raw, roast them on the grill and also use the beet greens.

I generally make a batch of the dressing and leave it in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 T extra virgin olive oil [120 kcal] 1 T honey [65 kcal] 3 T balsamic vinegar [30 kcal] 2 T water 2 tsp whole grain dijon mustard [5 kcal] Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Makes about half a cup of vinaigrette, 4 servings, and a serving is about 55 kcal/2 T serving.

The salad

100-200 g roasted beets [red, golden, whatever you have on hand] [45 kcal/100g] 85-100 g baby spinach [30 kcal/100g] 30 g goat cheese, crumbled [70 kcal] 10 g pecans, toasted and chopped [60 kcal]

Per serving.

At the larger end for a meal the base salad can be up to 250 kcal + 55 kcal for the dressing = 305 kcal. If I'm having this for lunch I'll usually pair it with a Greek yogurt for some extra protein.

You don't really need to weigh the spinach, mainly the goat cheese, pecans and the dressing are the calorie dense things. You can adjust them to your needs. The base recipe recommended half the goat cheese, but for a meal I like a full ounce. I usually buy a 4 ounce pack of goat cheese so it adds up to 4 servings like the half cup of dressing.

This is far from the only salad I make, but it is one of the more weight loss friendly and one that I enjoy weekly during salad season.

What about you? What are you eating?

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3cfpINd

No comments:

Post a Comment