Thursday, July 15, 2021

I lost 84 pounds in 6 months

I'm 25 years old and 186cm tall. I never thought of myself as being fat, not fit, but not exactly fat either.

I was chatting with a friend when he pointed out that I have been getting a bit bigger recently, I brushed it off as I thought that I looked exactly like I always have. My clothes had been getting tighter, but that I brushed off too. Nonetheless I decided to check my weight that day, just in case. I got up on the scale and I was in for a shock, it cracked. So after going out and getting myself a new fancy scale I found my weight to be 250 pounds. I couldn't believe it, this might sound naive, but I thought I was closer to 200ish.

That day I decided to lose weight and as a doctor, I did what any obese doctor with a sedentary lifestyle trying to lose weight would do, I spent the next 5 hours laying back on my sofa doing a literature review on weightloss. I was disappointed not to find a magic pill, but the information I gained was very valuable. Based on that, my weight loss plan was as follows:

  • Download a weight charting app and monitor my weight regularly
  • Start counting calories
  • Set up realistic goals on monthly basis, in my case it was the 7th of every month that I would assess my progress and set a new goal for the month.
  • Set up a dietary plan based on macros. (My plan was not exactly the healthies so I won't be sharing it, but I did supplement it a fair bit to deal with the deficiencies)
  • Manage my cravings by eating low calorie bulky food (I suggest looking up the satiety index, the paper is a bit old but still very useful)
  • Always have food around (This may sound counterproductive but having filling healthy low calorie food around stopped me from giving into my cravings as I never felt hungry anymore)
  • Cook my own food. I know exactly what I am eating and it allowed me to very meticulously monitor my macros. I also bought an instant pot and an air fryer both made life much easier.
  • Set up a steps target. I found myself parking further away from work and taking the stairs all the time just to reach my daily target.
  • Find a partner with the same goal and compete. I am extremely competitive and actively competing against someone was a great motivation for me (I won).

There is a bit more to it but those were the main headlines.

6 months later, I now weigh 171 pounds having lost 84 pounds in the process. Still 186cm.

submitted by /u/temp4521
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2UeOWoW

No comments:

Post a Comment