Wednesday, July 7, 2021

I want to stage an "intervention" for my dad. Any advice?

I've been apart of this community a long time, and it's helped me tremendously. But right now I don't want to focus on me. I apologize if this post is inappropriate for this sub.

My family has always been overweight/obese. My grandfather was morbidly obese and died at the age of 56 due to his poor health. Next week is my father's 50th birthday. He is about the same size as my grandfather. If I had to guess, he's 5'6 and no less than 300lbs. Doctors have told him for years to lose weight. He has tried multiple times and failed each time. With my dad getting close to my grandpa's age, I don't want to sit back anymore.

I want to sit my dad down and explain my worries. I want to get him healthy.

Here's what I have in mind so far: - Explain my concerns about his health, especially the longevity of his life - Empathize with the weight loss struggles - Suggest new ways to approach this (CICO, gym buddy, support group/therapy, consult a doctor) - Emphasize that we all want to support him (imo, this will only work if my entire house changes the diet of multiple fast food outings a week, etc.) - Remind him that I love him, and that I'm doing this out of love

Anything I should add or get rid of? Any advice on how to approach this? Advice to give him?

Or, you know, should I even bother? I know it's not my business, but I just don't want to lose him in the next decade.

submitted by /u/imjustfutura
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3AALULU

No comments:

Post a Comment