Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Sustainable Weight Goals

Hey Reddit folx!

Pretty new here. Seeking to find a community of likeminded late 20 to early 30 y/o’s interested in sustainable healthy living.

My partner and I each gained over 60 pounds since we married in 2016, which I think is pretty common for many paired up peeps. My spouse is a 31 y/o alcoholic, with a background in epidemiology and, ironically, clinical psychology in addiction. I am a 28 y/o science and mental health educator.

COVID summer hit us hard. We were drinking daily (#WFHLife), naturally anxious, grieving and depressed from the trauma of the pandemic, piling stacks of UberEats takeout into our fridge, and constantly irritable towards one another. Our lifestyle of excess with brie and booze came to a halt after an alcohol-induced suicidality scare in July 2020.

Since committing to a sober-curious lifestyle in February 2021, and practicing simple consistent rituals (weighing in daily, meal prep on Sundays, daily hydration goals, checking off our habits) our simple actions have added up over time. My weight loss goal has been 2 lbs/month - this small goal helps me feel I can do it. I have lost 20 pounds since January.

How?

1) We developed a rotating plant-focused diet of foods that emphasize ingredients that are historically biologically complimentary to our genetics (such as potatoes for his Irish self, rice & beans & fruit for my Latin self) and our ancestral diets have changed our whole life. We save money, avoid dinner indecision, feel great, and reduce our carbon footprint (we still eat meat occasionally,but only if it’s the weekend).

2) We hold each other accountable and provide each other grace. When we first tried being sober in July, we failed miserably. Knowing my husband’s competitive nature, last Feb. I bought a wall calendar for $1 at Target, drew 2 check boxes into each day for the month (one for him, one for me). I stuck it to the interior of our front door of our home so we were forced to see it multiple times every day. The rule was simple: if you are sober 1 entire day, check off your box for the day that evening before bed. I cannot share this strategy enough: it worked like a charm and stoped my husband’s alcoholism within a month.

Our waistlines are not our priority. Our physical and emotional wellness is. I have found that reframing our thoughts to reflect this has helped us a lot in our journey. We still have work to do, but we’re in it together, one baby step at a time.

Find simple changes that you’re excited to commit to and can do with someone you love. Unconditionally support is everything.

submitted by /u/ConcreteJungleChickn
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dSg6Zm

No comments:

Post a Comment