Friday, December 10, 2021

Finally at my goal weight, need to lose a bit more.

For most of my life, I had been around the BMI of slightly obese or very overweight. There was a period of time where I was a normal weight, and that was at the age of around 3 years old. Before that, I was underweight and my mom did everything in her power to make sure that I would be a normal weight in my childhood by feeding me good food. I think she overshot the mark a little bit though (LOL). I seriously believe that there was only about a 30 minute period where I was a healthy weight. I was always told by my paediatrician that I would "lose the weight as I grew up" and he even told me at my final visit that I was a healthy weight, and I didn't need to lose anymore (I was still visibly overweight). All my bloodwork showed that I was healthy, had normal A1C, normal everything. This was probably the factor that enabled my weight.

About nine months ago, my family decided to go to Florida to get vaccinated (At this time, they were not giving out vaccines to my age group in Canada) and with vacation comes weight gain. Was it my weight gain? Maybe, I had only gained around 5-10 lbs, most of that was probably water weight. The real weight gainer there was my brother, who had gained around 30 pounds. My whole life, my brother had been the athlete in the family. While I was out of breath playing on the last line in house league hockey, my brother would be one of the best players on his "A" hockey team, not to mention his time playing "AAA" football and many other sports. His weight gain really shocked me and brought me to reality. At this point, we had both decided to go on a weight loss journey.

My starting weight of 235 seemed really daunting, as it was the heaviest I had been in a while. I have tried to lose weight previously but I would lose 10lbs and then gain it right back. This time I was determined to go all the way. I started with a 1000 calorie deficit and resistance training 6 times a week. In hindsight, this deficit was probably a little too much, but it was really good at getting the weight off quickly and keeping my motivation high. The first results were the face gains (Who knew I had a jawline?) and the muscle definition came quickly after. My goal was to be a normal weight by my birthday (Which is two weeks from now). After months of dedication, I was very close to my GW, and then I injured my shoulder. This was devastating, as I really liked the working out part and getting stronger, but I didn't let it deter me from finally becoming healthy. So I kept up with the cardio and continued to eat in a deficit. It was a surprisingly warm day in December, with minimal snow on the ground, and I had woke up to do my normal morning routine. It was now time for the part of my daily routine to step on the scale, and once I did, I was shocked. I was finally a normal weight. I will never forget the screen on the scale light up and flash "182.9 lbs". I will remember this moment as one of the most important ones in my life. However, there was a slight problem.

I immediately looked at myself in the mirror, and that was the moment that I realised that I was too focused on the numbers. As I looked at my body in the mirror I thought I would see the ideal body I had for myself, but what I saw was disappointing. You see, I still looked fat. Initially, I took this as a loss in my head. I thought " I did all of this for nothing, I'm still fat". But then I took another hard look in the mirror. I realized that no, I lost over 40lbs and I am finally seeing changes in my body that I have wanted to see for years. It was at that moment that I knew I would go until I reach my ideal look. So what is the moral of this story? I guess it is that you shouldn't focus on the numbers too much, you should focus on what your end goals are. Do you want to be healthy? Lose weight until you get good bloodwork back. Do you want to gain performance? Lose weight until you get your 5k. Do you want to have your ideal body? Lose weight until you look the way you want. I don't see a goal weight as a finish line, but rather a checkpoint. The goal weight is the time you decide "Am I happy with these results, or do I need to continue?". But, even if you don't reach your goals at your predicted weight, don't let that discourage you! You have still done an amazing feat that most people don't even attempt! The point is, be proud of the progress you have done, and be happy that you have been so committed that you could have reached this point.

submitted by /u/PCBuildNerd
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dCoJqm

No comments:

Post a Comment