Saturday, December 4, 2021

I've lost 45 pounds since May (and still going), here's what I've learned

I always thought I was unable to lose weight. I would try something new (17 Day Diet, Intermittent Fasting) and always saw results but then fell off the wagon sooner or later. This year, somehow, I feel like I've unlocked some personal secret to weight loss, and it's suddenly so much easier than I could've ever imagined.

Here's what I've done:

I was in a low calorie deficit at the beginning (too low for my body), so I now use this website (https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html) to see where I should be calorie wise in regards to weight loss. I recommend calorie counting for at least a good while (a few months perhaps), just to get used to knowing how many calories are in food. Calories are not bad, they are really fuel, and you need to know how much you should be taking in. It also helps to keep in mind that even if you literally sit around all day, your body still needs some amount of food. You never have to do anything to deserve to eat. It is important to have a healthy mindset while you do this. Going over your "allowed" calories is not something to shame yourself about (unless it becomes a consistent, extreme issue), especially around holidays or birthdays. I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with fitting treats into your day. You need balance for this to work. When I was counting calories more strictly, I had a few meals that I loved that I would eat on repeat because I knew they fit in with my calorie goals (fried eggs on Dave's thin sliced bread with pesto for breakfast, vegetable noodle soup, tacos with carb balance tortillas and avocado, etc.). Make sure to fit in carbs, protein, fats, fiber, etc. Nutrition is still important. Figure out if you like 3 meals a day, or a bunch of snacky meals throughout the day (perhaps 5 smaller meals instead of 3 bigger ones). Whatever your preference is, fit it into your calorie goal.

My second huge thing is exercise. It helps to be inspired. If you have a goal in mind (mine is that I want to build a lot of strength and muscle definition, which does come with the added difficulty of making sure I get enough protein) it makes working out fun and easier. I'd recommend a mix of cardio and weight training, although to be honest I've done much less cardio than weight training and have still managed to lose weight (added this because it feels like everyone who tells you how to lose weight emphasizes cardio SO much, but I've found success elsewhere). Building muscle mass is important because it increases your metabolism (https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/get-more-burn-from-your-workout#1), AND if you're looking to get smaller in size, muscle takes up less space than body fat. Find a good playlist, songs that really get you excited, and add them to a workout playlist. I still get excited to go to the gym and just have that time to myself, listening to my recent favorite songs and working out.

So, my focus has been on calorie counting and exercise. Make sure you are eating enough, because otherwise, as far as I understand, you will be confusing your body in a certain sense. It won't want to lose weight/burn fat if it doesn't think it's getting enough to eat to be in a place to do so. Don't beat yourself up at any point in the process. Miss several workouts? Your body still needs rest, too. If you feel it becomes a problem (never wanting to work out), I'd recommend reexamining your motives/inspiration. Also, it is important to focus on your mental health as you do these things so that you aren't becoming physically healthier at the expense of becoming mentally unhealthy. Don't stress too much about weigh-ins. Weight fluctuates day to day, so be prepared for that and know that there's almost no way you've gained a pound in a day (my scale likes to tell me this sometimes, but it's just not physically possible with what I've been eating/doing).

Making these things habits is the key. It might turn out that after a while, you don't need to calorie count much anymore, because you know what a XXXX calorie day looks like for you. Going to the gym/exercising will eventually just become part of your routine. Just wanted to share because it is so much easier for me than I thought and I can't believe it took me so long to work this all out.

I'm definitely biased, but this is the best way to lose fat/weight in my experience. It's simple changes that make sense, and since it's not a fad diet or anything, I find it easier to stay "on the wagon". Giving up tons of things I like just isn't for me (i.e. cutting carbs, all sugar, etc).

submitted by /u/rainaisbored
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3Euafok

No comments:

Post a Comment