Friday, December 10, 2021

So Tired of all the Swings that Occur regarding Nutritionist/RDs... kindly...

Can I just say that I really respect individuals who actually have put in the work and studied their butt off to be considered a professional in nutrition, but is anyone also annoyed that weight loss is becoming a "bad word?" in these communities due to current swings...

To be clear, I agree that you have to treat the root cause of what is causing the patient to get to the point they feel they would benefit from weight loss. I also understand there's a great bit of mental work that occurs there. Weight is in most cases a symptom of something else occurring.

However, I am getting very annoyed with people pushing Intuitive Eating. I have read the book. The book very clearly states it is not a weight loss program. I think the book is 100% worth the read and has been helpful to me when I take maintenance breaks and don't track. I've been successful in that.

BUT let's be clear here, some of us can't listen intuitively to our bodies. I still struggle with stress cues that mask themselves as hunger cues and I've sustained a good amount of weight loss. Sometimes to understand how out of whack our bodies are we need to actually understand the basics of food and that means - tracking what you eat, understanding portions, and what food fuels your body and keeps you full.

I just wish that the anti-diet and IE nutritionist/RDs would acknowledge that it's ok for a person to want to lose weight, but perhaps understanding everything that goes into losing weight (understanding food, calories, portions, what triggers a person, what our bodies are telling us vs what we actually need and why) is the more important aspect related to that vs "weight loss for the sake of weight loss is always bad! Also tbf, I'm more angered at the social media nutritionist/RDs that have decided to blindly jump ship without trying to also acknowledge another potential group they serve (individuals who want to lose weight for their physical or mental well being - hell, if you want to lose weight for your vanity, I think that's valid. It's your body. Your feelings are valid).

If I say, I want to lose weight, I should feel ok to say that to a professional without being shamed. Also on the flip side, if I don't want to discuss losing weight, I should feel ok to say that to a professional without being shamed.

Idk. I understand the research says this and that, but also, humans are weird and we require different things. I think they have a place, but the swings that our society goes thru esp regarding health and wellness is tiring.

Thanks for coming to my pointless rant. Humans are humans and we can want or not want weight loss. No shame in our wants.

submitted by /u/Sjb1985
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dG6a4G

No comments:

Post a Comment