Saturday, December 11, 2021

Training to hike the highest mountain in North America

Title get your attention? ;)

It’s actually half-serious. I’m in an “obese category” after losing feeling in my leg for several years. The problem was finally diagnosed and I’m regaining significant strength with treatment and can walk normally for the first time in 10 years.

I started hiking. I’ve summited several mountains (on the moderate scale, nothing too difficult yet). I can’t go further than around 5-6 miles a day at the high end and max 2,000 elevation gain, so I have a long way to go, but my journey is just starting.

That being said, I could use some help/guidance. During my immobilized years I’ve picked up two big bad habits that are going to stunt my goals.

1- I started smoking. I’ve diligently tried to stop and I can’t. However, when I’m hiking I don’t need a cigarette at all the entire time I’m in the mountain. My body just doesn’t crave it. I seriously need to quit, but patches, vaping & gum doesn’t work. I’ve tried Wellbutrin to quit and it didn’t work. Any other ideas?

2- I don’t know where to start on the actual weight loss journey in regard to working out since I haven’t in so many years. I have a private gym across the street, but I’m a little embarrassed to go in at this time. I’m wanting to wait till I’m further in shape especially since my community (who has access to this gym) think I’m way more in shape than I am- since I climb mountains. I’d like to purchase some home equipment to use. Could anyone recommend basic (cheaper) things to begin with?

I’m looking at a used treadmill on the marketplace. I know that will help.

My back is weak. I actually fractured it and didn’t know. It healing and I’m cleared to work out. Which kind of exercises could I do to gain significant strength in my back?

My end game is truly to climb that beast. It might be nothing more than a dream, but after not being able to do much in 10 years, and getting freedom back so suddenly... this is definitely what I wish to do. And when I set my mind to something, I almost always do it.

English is my second language, pardon minor mistakes.

submitted by /u/FutureMDdropout
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3IHx623

No comments:

Post a Comment