Monday, January 30, 2023

(Advice Request) how to quickly and unawkwardly change topics when people comment on my weight loss?

I am losing weight for personal reasons and just to feel healthier as my partner and I plan to start having kids in about a year. I’m currently overweight (5’3’’, SW: 210lbs, CW: 180lbs, GW: 140lbs).

I have gained and lost weight before, and unfortunately have gained back most the weight I lost about 5 years ago, so I’m trying to back to when I was feeling my best and strongest.

I have some deeply personal issues related to weight, with long term eating disorders and body dysmporohia, all of which I’m currently in therapy for.

I’m a pretty light hearted person, always cracking jokes, and do not get too deep with peripheral friends or colleagues, and only open up to my very close friends and partner.

My partner unfortunately has a couple colleagues at work that have wives that are quite toxic, and there’s no way out of seeing them once every couple of months. They’ve had full on discussions about the weight and health of people who were not around, making judgments and saying rude comments. E.g. “ I work with this one guy who’s so huge, he’s smart but he’s so slow if you know what I mean…”. Every time they get into that I try and either leave or pretend to look at something on my phone (if we’re at a restaurant table) so as to not engage.

I know they will mention something to me because I’ve seen them mention things to each other, and they mention other superficial things me before that are not body related (e.g. how much did your purse cost? How much are you and your partner planning on spending on your house?). How do I keep the conversation light but not dwell on it? I’d rather be prepared with one or two liners so that I don’t get flustered and say something I regret.

Thank you for the help!!

submitted by /u/Sea-Advertising-3830
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/fUirn3y

No comments:

Post a Comment