Saturday, January 28, 2023

You can’t outrun your fork, but exercise can still be an important part of weight loss

Exercising alone isn’t a good idea to lose weight because you can easily re-eat the calories you lost from exercising in a couple minutes at best. Yet still, after losing 40 lbs, I’ve found that exercising has seriously helped me maintain diet changes and lose weight consistently. Here’s why:

  1. Exercise releases endorphines and creates a natural high. I used to eat when I felt sad or low for a burst of energy, and exercising prevents me from feeling that way. Exercising also releases stress and combats stress eating.

  2. A lot of eating and grazing comes out of boredom. Exercising, like playing a sport, going to the gym, running, biking, etc. is an activity that keeps me busy and entertained when I don’t have much to do.

  3. I feel more guilty overeating when I think of it in terms of calories burned. If I do a difficult workout and burn 300 calories, next time I want to eat a muffin I’ll ask myself if it’s really worth it to undo all that effort I put in. Normally, the answer is no.

  4. Exercising creates concrete goals and I get to see how far I’ve come. When I run 2 miles and don’t feel like I’m dying, I can recognise that losing 40 lbs has genuinely helped my body become fitter and healthier and more capable. And when I feel healthy, I feel compelled to BE healthy. Fake it till you make it.

submitted by /u/AITAtampon
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/U1mToZ6

No comments:

Post a Comment