Monday, January 30, 2023

Can't Stop Thinking About Being Overweight and Statistics

The last time I lost a significant amount of weight (like I was within 10 pounds of my weight goal, Jan 2021-May 2021), I remember always using a website to calculate how long it would take for me to lose weight because 1) I wanted to reach my goal as soon as possible and knowing when that will happen will keep me going and 2) The way I lost weight at that time could have been considered "crash dieting" because I was eating too little calories/running 3-4 times a week, which in turn was quite miserable and I wanted it to end.

Now, I am trying again to lose weight and using all my previous weight loss experience to help me. I am doing well so far, and I know that I don't want to crash diet again, but I only started on January 7th. And it seems like at least once a day, I use my phone's calculator how many weeks it will take to reach my goal weight/healthy BMI. The estimate was 21 weeks assuming that I lose 1% of my mass a week and I readjust the calculation based on my current weight and I also use use MyFitnessPal's estimate when it tells you " If you continue like this in 5 weeks you will weigh ___ pounds" as a reference. (Currently the estimation is n =16 weeks with my current weight: 193.1(1-0.01)^n ).

In addition to all of this, I have find myself looking at obesity/overweight statistics. I do this because I no longer want to be part of the statistics, especially what seems to be like a growing trend AND because I have spent the majority of my life being obese and overweight.

I feel ashamed to be a part of the statistic. I wish I could just stop being overweight at the drop of a hat. But that's not possible. Also, I think that time I will be more successful. I have a SNAP card which allows me to not have to worry about how I spend money on groceries (as compared to wanting to spend my money on high-calorie junk food which I value more). I eat enough protein and I try not to fall way below MyFitnessPal's calorie goals. I am not obese as of recently, and I am happy to not be part of that statistic.

But seeing graph's of the obesity/overweight trend across countries and how people comment about how it's shameful makes me feel terrible. I also think about what I missed out on because of how I was obese throughout my childhood/adolescence.

Also, I am concerned about not being able to maintain being a healthy weight/BMI as I have heard that even if people lose a significant amount of weight, they are very likely to gain it back (and possibly more) within the next couple years. I have also heard that "a formerly overweight person burns less calories doing the same exercises as a person who is naturally the same weight." Is this true? Of course, I know that I can't worry about all of that now.

Thank you for reading this and extra thanks if you reply to this post. It means a lot.

submitted by /u/No_Photograph
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3H19wIt

No comments:

Post a Comment