Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Lost 154 lbs (started around 368, now 214) while managing epilepsy + recovering from two brain surgeries — happy to share what worked

Stats: down 154 lbs, now at 214. Not a straight line, and not fast — this happened alongside years of epilepsy treatment, including a 2017 brain surgery (temporal lobectomy) and a 2022 deep brain stimulation implant.

A few things that mattered for me specifically, since my situation had some unusual constraints (seizure risk, surgery recovery, medication side effects, depression that didn't fully lift until DBS settings were tuned in early 2026):

  • I couldn't rely on high-intensity everything, so I built consistency around low-impact stuff first (walking, then a weighted vest, then eventually running).
  • I had to plan around "what if a seizure happens right now" for every workout — so solo, isolated workouts were out for a long time.
  • Mental health treatment (in my case, DBS finally being tuned correctly) mattered as much as diet/exercise. I didn't have the bandwidth to sustain habit changes until the depression eased.
  • I stopped trying to fix everything at once. Weight loss, seizure management, and mental health got worked on in sequence, not all simultaneously.

Now I'm training for the LA Marathon (March 2027) which felt like a joke a few years ago.

Happy to answer anything about training around a chronic neurological condition, or just the slow/nonlinear parts of the process nobody posts about.

https://www.epilepsysucks.org

submitted by /u/MrSlayer6
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/B90ClrJ

No comments:

Post a Comment