Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A cautionary tale of sorts

Especially if you're just starting with losing weight, do yourself a favour and talk to an expert.
After about a month of dieting, I finally met up with a dietitian today and it was the best thing I could have done.
I'm not trying to say that you're doing anything wrong, or that you're not trying hard enough, but unfortunately the internet is a sewer in which occasionally something nice (like r/loseit) floats by.
The internet, and all of your friends who mysteriously became weight loss experts the moment they found out you were trying to lose weight, is full of often but not always well intended, but confusing messages.

Do I have a body frame? What does that mean? Which one of these body fat calculators should I use? What is Keto? Am I doing it right? Should I eat more on days that I exercise? Should I go vegan? Should I cut carbs? Should I not cut carbs? Why am I not losing weight? Why am I losing weight now? Am I losing muscle mass? Am I eating the wrong things?

These were all questions that I had, and nearly every website/blogger/friend I asked (or didn't ask) had a different opinion on it. I am unfortunately gifted with anxiety and constant self doubt as well as an aspiration to perfection that borders on self abuse, so this all bothered me quite a lot. It was worrying me a lot, and my mind was starting to go into the wrong direction. I was considering doing a three day water fast, and I know that fasting isn't a bad thing, but DON'T DO IT ON YOUR OWN, UNSUPERVISED!! Please. So today, I went to see a dietitian and I wish that I'd done it so much sooner.

My dietitian was able to answer most of my questions in the span of an hour and to her neverending credit listened to all my ramblings of insecurity and all-or-nothing perfectionist tendencies, and she helped me.
(Additionally, not all that important, but apparently the scale I have at home is broken because the scale her office uses concluded I was a full 4.5 lbs lighter than the one I have at home. Good to know.)
My mind is a lot more at ease now, and I hope that anyone who is feeling confused and miserable like I was can learn something from my experience and prevent themselves any future suffering.
If you can and feel like you need to, please see an expert. It's nothing to be ashamed of, this is why they work in this field. They want to help you.
Lots of love to you all, and good luck! I wish you all a safe, healthy journey!

submitted by /u/IcedMalevolence
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2pU00oC

No comments:

Post a Comment