Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Anyone else find themselves getting overly defensive at the amount of food they eat?

I'm at work, on my lunch right now, and I'm following a low-fat diet (slimming world) and have lost 30.5lbs so far.

For lunch today I've got chicken mini fillets, salad with lettuce, onion, tomatos and cucumbers and i bought a punnet of strawberries although I won't eat all of them today.

I was taking these to my desk and a coworker turned to me and said 'this is part of your diet then is it?' with a bit of a side grin and I happily said 'yes actually!' and she looked at me sort of disbelieving and said 'what, you can eat all of that?'.

I felt myself getting defensive so I just smiled and said 'yep, it's great!' and went to my desk, but i'm still silently annoyed. Mainly because it feels like an accusation, like 'you must be cheating' when I'm not, I just know the caloric value and nutrients in the food I'm eating which allows me to stay at a deficit and also eat enough food to feel full and satisfied.

I don't know if as a society we're all convinced now that to diet effectively you have to essentially starve yourself and so seeing someone who is losing weight and eating what seems to be a 'lot' of food feels unnatural, or if maybe the ordinary processed foods people eat at lunch time with huge amounts of bread just amount to a lot more calories in the same volume and people have started to see it as 'volume of food = calories'. Either way it's weird to me how many people seem shocked at how much I can eat. Like, yes, different foods have different caloric values. Do you seriously not know this??

I know it's stupid and I feel silly for being annoyed at her but I also hate office gossip and don't want rumours about me getting weight loss surgery or some other way of losing the weight other than dieting because people just don't believe me and I'm not going to start eating less to please their idea of what a diet looks like!

submitted by /u/hannasolo100
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2C2AODL

No comments:

Post a Comment