Thursday, October 4, 2018

God, I love data. I thought tracking would make me obsessive, but it’s just the opposite.

I’ve gained 4.5 lbs in two days. πŸŽ‰πŸ˜‚

In the past, I accepted the oft quoted advice to weigh in once a week so you don’t get obsessed with the scale, and I was super reluctant to use MFP because I didn’t want to get obsessed with calorie tracking. This now seems like weird advice when I think about it because it’s not like I only check my speedometer once a trip so I don’t get obsessed with speed, or only use my rear view mirror once so I don’t get obsessed with what’s behind me. For me, having more info only makes me more confident.

I know staring down a 4.5 lb gain would have made me insane if I had less data. But I know that I’m at a 3800 calorie deficit for the past seven days. And I just started vinyasa yoga again and I’m so sore right now. So this is just a normal, healthy blip. It’s not 4.5 lbs of fat, and I am not broken. It’s a sign that my body is healthy and it’s retaining water to repair all those muscles that haven’t been used in a while. It’ll fall right back off in a few days.

With weight loss, there’s so much advice out there: track, don’t track, weigh daily, scales are evil, carbs are good, carbs are bad, start running, eat kale, go vegan, try Jenny Craig. Keto. IF. MFP!

Don’t be afraid to play around. I was trying to avoid obsessing and it made me more crazy. For me, data is a godsend. It might make you feel awful. The point isn’t that you need to keep a big spreadsheet (although I do love my spreadsheet people!). But you probably do need a willingness to try a few things and figure out what feels healthy and sustainable. Find something that makes you feel as at peace with this process as a spreadsheet does for me.

submitted by /u/GreenTrafficMap
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OyIRii

No comments:

Post a Comment