Friday, October 5, 2018

I used psychology to get myself exercising regularly

I struggled for ages with sticking to an exercise regime. I knew that I wanted to exercise - for weight loss and all the other physical health benefits, but also because it really helped with my mental health. But I just kept giving up.

I'd studied psychology at university and in my day job, and I knew that there were two systems in our brains which often work against each other. One system makes rational decisions for our long-term benefit, and it was this system that I used when I decided to start exercising. The other system is very short-sighted and is only focused on what's happening right now. It was this system that made me stay on the sofa and eat chocolate instead of going for a run.

Using my understanding of the way this system makes decisions - it uses lots of mental shortcuts to make decisions very quickly rather than looking at all the relevant information - I built up a method which made it much easier and more pleasurable to stick to regular exercise.

There are lots of factors involved, and many of them will be different for each person, but I've been working on a plan that other people can use. If you'd like to try this free starter plan, I'd be really interested to know what you think - you can get it here by completing a short questionnaire.

submitted by /u/danfluence
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2zStDMM

No comments:

Post a Comment