Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Weight loss, depression & alcohol

This time last year I was gaining the weight that I'm losing now. I've never been a healthy weight as an adult, but I also had never crossed into obese before November 2017. I had a number of factors lead to the worst depression of my life & I gained over 60 pounds in 7 months. In February of this year, I went to a doctor to evaluate my depression meds and discovered I had ballooned up to 226 pounds at 5'5".

I was miserable and had very little hope for my own future mental and physical health. Starting from that day, I started making small and the huge changes in my life that have ultimately made me much happier. I've lost 60 pounds and want to keep going to reach a healthy range. Throughout all of this, I keep coming back to my relationship with alcohol and it's affect on my mental and physical health.

I work in the craft beer and wine industry, and alcohol has been a part of my work and home life forever. I noticed that it was draining me, stalling my weight loss, and aggravating my depression (after changing almost all the other causes) and so I took September off from alcohol outside of a few work related moments (where I spit the beverages out instead of swallowing them).

I had a couple of beers over the past few days and I've noticed that the depressive cloud has started to settle over me again. I think it's time to become a firm non drinker. I'm finding the prospect difficult, as much of my social and professional life centers around consuming and tasting alcohol, but I'm pretty sure it must be done.

I'd love to hear from other people who have similar experiences with alcohol, depression, weight loss and self improvement. I'm trying to work towards being my best self and it looks like drinking any amount of alcohol is not a part of that.

submitted by /u/cest_wat
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Ro7HzR

No comments:

Post a Comment